Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit app cutoff before mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit app cutoff before mortgage?

Depending on my work situation, I hope to get my first mortgage later this year. My question is that on many different websites, I've seen tips not to apply for new credit cards before applying for a mortgage. Is there any kind of best practice for what the application cutoff should be? I don't want to apply for anything new unless I find a good new account bonus, but I certainly don't want to mess up mortgage approval or interest rate. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit app cutoff before mortgage?

Welcome to the forums!

What is on your credit reports now? credit cards? loans and etc.? credit card limits and their balances? Do you know your FICO scores? How long is your credit history? Any negative stuff? lates? collections and etc.?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll answer with what I know:

-My credit report for now has only credit cards; like I said, I hope to add either mortgage or auto loan later this year

-Credit cards: MasterCard ($2500 limit/$0 balance), Visa ($2500 limit/~$100 balance), AmEx ($2500 limit/$250 balance), store card ($400 limit/$20 balance)

-FICO score was 680 when I last checked

-Credit history goes back to 2006

-No negatives; every card has been paid in full each month

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your score should be much higher than 680 with these figures. What's missing?
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably should have added that the 680 score is pretty old, a couple of years I think. I check my report often, but I really need to check my scores pretty soon.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There ya go. I bet you'll be pleasantly suprised.
Message 6 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I probably should have added that the 680 score is pretty old, a couple of years I think. I check my report often, but I really need to check my scores pretty soon.

If you do want to check your scores be careful where you look.

No one has been able to pull their own Experian score since last February. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com. 

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 7 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

I would not add a new credit till after your mortgage.  You have a short credit history and I do not see that you have a good reason for getting new credit.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 11
MrShush
Valued Contributor

If you are planning for a mortgage app later this year, new credit should not even be in your list of things to do. Don't apply for anything--whether you think you need it or not, don't accept preapprovals, do not do anything that would cause already consevative lenders to think twice about approving your mortgage. Pay off any balances you may carry. After settlement, do what ever you want.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the good information. As a rule of thumb, is there a good cutoff to use for applying for credit cards before applying for a mortgage? 3 months? 6 months? A year?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.