Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards in the last six months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards in the last six months

I posted a couple months ago asking about how mortgage lenders look at "recently" opened credit cards.  The consensus from the mortgage experts here (including some actual lenders who read and answer posts) seemed at that time to be that "the last six months" was the important period. 

(With the caveat that in theory they can see anything on your reports: thus inquiries up to two years old and all accounts of any age.  The feeling was still that this was more of a theoretical issue and that most underwriters in practice focus on cards in the last six months.)

Two questions:

(1)  Did I get that right?  Is six months the important period?

(2)  If yes, how exactly do lenders measure the cutoff date?  (How precisely do they do it, down to the day?)

My last two cards were opened on 02/01 and 01/10.  Does that mean if a pre-approval application were submitted after 08/03, then I would be considered as having no recently opened cards for most lenders? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards in the last six months

Most lenders only look back 90-120 days from my experience. I had like twenty recently opened accounts when I got my mortgage in march. A few cards trust me isn't going to matter at all.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey CGID!

If you remember my story, it was at my lender's advice to add a credit card back in March. It reported in April showing the open date as March. Our house should be finished by late September/early October.
Message 3 of 7
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I had opened Amex and Discover in October , preapproval was 1/19 and closed on my brand new house on 3/24. It was a non issue- balances were zero
Message 4 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I haven't seen lenders "measure to the day" for inq's at all.  IME I have seen inqs become an issue if the buyer is running up debt or is boarderline with their score and the running up of debt is a more serious red flag.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I added about 8 lines back in 2016 July, August, Sept.  I apped mid-Jan with no issues whatsoever.  I was under 3% total across all.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.