Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check when selling?

tag
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Credit check when selling?

Does your credit get checked when you sell your house? Chances are it doesn’t as you’re not applying for credit, but it seems like a credit check is needed for just about anything these days.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Credit check when selling?

Only if you are applying for credit.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Title searches will check for banckruptcies and judgements, as they may affect your ability to transfer a clean title.
Message 3 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:
Title searches will check for banckruptcies and judgements, as they may affect your ability to transfer a clean title.

yep.  your credit isnt pulled.... but liens and judgments are found thru court records

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 6
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Great. Thank you.

I have a follow-up question, if you happen to know the answer.

When you sell a house, but do not purchase another house within a short time, I understand that previous restrictions have been removed by law, so that there are no longer any tax consequences no matter how long that money sits in your bank account (well, except if your sale exceeds your original purchase price by more than $500,000). Would this be correct?

Message 5 of 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

Great. Thank you.

I have a follow-up question, if you happen to know the answer.

When you sell a house, but do not purchase another house within a short time, I understand that previous restrictions have been removed by law, so that there are no longer any tax consequences no matter how long that money sits in your bank account (well, except if your sale exceeds your original purchase price by more than $500,000). Would this be correct?

I am not aware of any restrictions that have been removed.  Definitely would want to consult a CPA or your tax adviser on that one.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.