Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit pull for home equity line of credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit pull for home equity line of credit

I bought a home 6 months ago and put in a lot of money to fix it up i used 0 APR credit cards to fund it,
The maxing out credit cards took a big hit on my fico 8 and it dropped from 700 to 600.
Now i want home equity line of credit my mortgage score is pretty decent i wanted to know if they use the fico 8 or 5 for home equity line of credit.

PS: planning to use wells fargo and they have no clue.
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit pull for home equity line of credit

@Anonymous wrote:
I bought a home 6 months ago and put in a lot of money to fix it up i used 0 APR credit cards to fund it,
The maxing out credit cards took a big hit on my fico 8 and it dropped from 700 to 600.
Now i want home equity line of credit my mortgage score is pretty decent i wanted to know if they use the fico 8 or 5 for home equity line of credit.

It depends on the individual lender I just found out after doing some research the other day looking into all sorts of options to finance a part of my education.

Some will do the standard trimerge pull for a HELOC, and others will just pull a single bureau and who knows what version they use until after the fact.  Specifically for WF I've found one thread saying they do a trimege, and one that they don't.

Honestly you could just go rate shopping a bit, and I think many HELOC pulls may be coded as Real Estate to boot; however, any reason to not just pay the cards on 0% down somewhat and then take the HELOC pulls just to be sure?  You should have some time on the 0% financing part.

The other question is it depends tremendously how much you have left on your first mortgage, and what the current appraised value is: most HELOC's only allow what amounts to 80% CLTV financing, though there are some which allow somewhat higher in my looking around.  I can do OK on this as 80% is still 30K for me, which is a large enough line for what I'd need, but it's something to be aware of as the minimums are usually around 15K and some (Schwab) are actually at 50K.  Home Equity Loans (effectively second mortgage) are more flexible up to 90%, and those are almost assuredly standard trimerge pulls.

        
Message 2 of 6
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my fairly recent experience, WF used a single EXv2 pull for a HELOC. 

Revelate wrote: 

The other question is it depends tremendously how much you have left on your first mortgage, and what the current appraised value is: most HELOC's only allow what amounts to 80% CLTV financing, though there are some which allow somewhat higher in my looking around.  

85% CLTV was the max WF allowed.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 3 of 6
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Im im the same situation.

Just bought my house  9 months ago. Used ccs to fix it up and need a heloc to get from under them,

I am a bit confused on heloc vs cash out refi ajd what is better.

We bought our house fha but home values in our area are minimum 64k over what we paid. Majority are going for 81k over what we bought it for. So i dont know.

Scores are the problem with ours being low 600s

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - I suggest you give DCU a call. I applied for a HELOC from them on 4/18 and the loan is approved today. No closing cost. Rates is really good @3.25% and if you prefer you can convert the variable HELOC to fixed. I think today fixed rates is 3.99% for 15 yr term. They pulled EQ and if you are not yet a member, they will HP 2x, one for member and the other for loan application.
Message 5 of 6
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous - I suggest you give DCU a call. I applied for a HELOC from them on 4/18 and the loan is approved today. No closing cost. Rates is really good @3.25% and if you prefer you can convert the variable HELOC to fixed. I think today fixed rates is 3.99% for 15 yr term. They pulled EQ and if you are not yet a member, they will HP 2x, one for member and the other for loan application.

What were your scores?

You said they pulled EQ only? They didn't do the tri-pull?

What was your DTI?

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.