Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit pulls question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit pulls question

I am scheduled to close on my new construction on 2/2 and had appliances not included in the build on order since November. My plan was to get the store card for the appliances thin order to get the promotional offers of 0% for 18mos. My question is, how close to closing will the bank pull another report? The last report was pulled on 1/3/17. I planned on going the day or two before closing and getting the store card so that I have time built in for delivery the day after closing.

Appliances are about $4700 so the 18mos would be awesome to benefit from..
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit pulls question

I have heard that they can do as late as those 1-2 days pre-closing.  I am currently just starting my process and I plan to charge and PIF on a couple of cards for a couple of new things but already know I am NOT going to do so until after the loan is funded and I have keys in hand.

Message 2 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

usually a day or two before closing.

back in my broker days it was done after closing and before funding. those werent fun days

a lender can do it as late as they want really

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, both of you for your responses. Also please excuse the typos/grammar in my original posting.. I was at work typing from my cell phone.

Since they pull a day or two before closing, that leads me to another question.. if your credit situation has improved since the pre-approval do they give you better terms? I know one thing im concerned with is the PMI rate they quoted since I'm only doing 5% down. Credit score at 699.

Appreciate your responses!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe long before they do another pull (I was told as early as one month before), your rate is already locked in.  I am not certain of what would have to be done to change the rate at that point.  Probably would move out the closing date which for me would not be acceptable.  Every lender is different and maybe they wont lock the rate until that point anyway.  But 1-2 days pre-closing?  I would think that would be a no.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if on the second pull your credit goes down, below their limit for the loan......does ure loan get cancelled??
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibly I am sure.  At the very least there would be some 'splaining to do.

Message 7 of 13
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

There are two different types of credit checks that occur during the mortgage process.

The first is a hard inquiry, which will have a full credit report that it + it's scores will be used to qualify you as well as determine interest rate pricing.  Usually this has an expiration date of 90-120 days.  If your loan hasn't closed by then, a new hard inquiry and that new report will replace the existing report in terms of qualifying & interest rate pricing.

The second type is used for the "Loan Quality Initiative", which is just a fancy term for the lender getting updated balances and payments for the items on your credit.  This usually occurs as part of the clear-to-close/final approval, and is valid for 7 days (so if the clear-to-close is issued, but you don't close within 7 days, then a new LQI has to be pulled).  This is a "credit refresh" and not a hard inquiry, although some people have said they still see it on their own consumer reports which leads me to believe it's a soft inquiry.

Some lenders have the ability to see real time inquiries, even without utilizing one of the above types of credit checks.  I've had lenders email me out of the blue, smack dab in the middle of the loan process, that my client has a new credit inquiry and needs to explain it and document any new credit that has been granted from the inquiry. 

So if you don't want to be hassled by explaining & potentially documenting inquiries, or have them impact your loan, then wait until after your loan has funded.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, both of you for your responses. Also please excuse the typos/grammar in my original posting.. I was at work typing from my cell phone.

Since they pull a day or two before closing, that leads me to another question.. if your credit situation has improved since the pre-approval do they give you better terms? I know one thing im concerned with is the PMI rate they quoted since I'm only doing 5% down. Credit score at 699.

Appreciate your responses!

a day or two before closing the rate will already be locked. so you are stuck with the terms

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just closed in Nov and my loan ofc told me to wait a full 24hrs from close because she has seen underwriters refuse to fund loans that had a new inquiry with the same date as close
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.