cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit rebuild for home purchase

tag
Topanga1

Credit rebuild for home purchase

I'm 9-10 months into attempting to repair my credit score/history in an attempt to purchase a new home.  So far so good.  I have a secured CC with Wells Fargo that I've been using for that time, I've kept the balance low (about 10% credit usage) and I've paid the balance monthly.  I also have a Capital One Semi-secured CC that I've been using with the same restrictions and low credit usage.  I've been monitoring my credit score thru sites like Credit Sesame (Credit Score of 728) and Credit Karma (Credit Score of 681) and based on myFico I have a Fico score of 701.  The numbers sound good.  I feel like I'm headed in the right direction.  Is it too soon to try to attempt a home purchase?  Will the lenght of my credit history play into effect? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jnkp2001
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit rebuild for home purchase

@Topanga1 wrote:

I'm 9-10 months into attempting to repair my credit score/history in an attempt to purchase a new home.  So far so good.  I have a secured CC with Wells Fargo that I've been using for that time, I've kept the balance low (about 10% credit usage) and I've paid the balance monthly.  I also have a Capital One Semi-secured CC that I've been using with the same restrictions and low credit usage.  I've been monitoring my credit score thru sites like Credit Sesame (Credit Score of 728) and Credit Karma (Credit Score of 681) and based on myFico I have a Fico score of 701.  The numbers sound good.  I feel like I'm headed in the right direction.  Is it too soon to try to attempt a home purchase?  Will the lenght of my credit history play into effect? 

What type of financing are you looking for?   And when was the last negative on your credit report?  VA, FHA, and USDA all require no lates or negatives on your report for at least a year.

FICO EQ: 633 8/15/12
lender pulled 11/3/12 EQ 661 TU 650 EX598
credit Karma 674 credit sesame: 663
B/K discharged 2/2006......closed 8/2012

May your limits be high and your balances low!

Message 2 of 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I think you need 3 trade lines open for the last 12 months and no lates in that time either.

Message 3 of 5
Topanga1

jnk:

Prior to my current attempt at credit repair (9 months ago), I had a "thin file" (zero credit history).  Currently, only the Wells Fargo account and the Capital One cards show up on my reports.  I've had no negative marks for the past year.  Looking for a traditional fixed 30 year.

Message 4 of 5
Topanga1

toole:

I do have a third line- a Fingerhut account (good standing with low % usage) that is not showing up on my CR.  No lates in the past 12 months either.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.