cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score and qualifying for VA mortgage

tag
kt5858

Credit score and qualifying for VA mortgage

For the past year, I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit.  I know the Myfico scores I obtain are different from the ones the lenders use (and the Lender scores appear to be lower).  I am just trying to find out when I might be in a position to finally apply for a mortgage.  As of today, My FICO scores are 642 (not good),659 (not good), 662 (good).  Should I atleast wait until I can get that middle score to a 660? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit score and qualifying for VA mortgage

i believe va only requires a 640 mid score but there are many more stipulations than just score

Message 2 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

What is on your credit that is bringing your scores down?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 7
kt5858

@Shane.  They are paid charge offs, late mortgage and car payments, which all started in 2007-2008. Last late car and mortgage payment were in 2012. 

Message 4 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Since they are all over 2 years old, as long as you've had at least 12 months of re-established credit since then, your chances should be pretty good.  I'd just keep chugging along with making your payments on time and when you feel you are ready, have the lender check credit for the pre-approval.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lender told me that for the VA loan you need at least a 620 middle score.  Mine was 613 and he gave me some stuff to do to raise my score so my salary can be included in my husband's VA pre approval - he got pre approved with just his scores but adding my salary will increase our pre approval which is what we want to do.

Message 6 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My lender told me that for the VA loan you need at least a 620 middle score.  Mine was 613 and he gave me some stuff to do to raise my score so my salary can be included in my husband's VA pre approval - he got pre approved with just his scores but adding my salary will increase our pre approval which is what we want to do.

They just require a 620 score, VA doesn't have a minimum score requirement.  But if you like the loan officer, then increasing your score by ~7 points could be very well worth it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.