Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit scores

Quick question, when applying for a mortgage do lenders take all three scores and average them together or do they take the lowest, or mid, or high?  The reason I am asking I just recently started looking into getting a home through FHA and have spoke to a few places that do mortgages and keep getting different answers from them.  All they want to do do right away is pull credit but I don't want to have all of those inquiries on my reports.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit scores

They pull all three and take the middle score.

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick question, when applying for a mortgage do lenders take all three scores and average them together or do they take the lowest, or mid, or high?  The reason I am asking I just recently started looking into getting a home through FHA and have spoke to a few places that do mortgages and keep getting different answers from them.  All they want to do do right away is pull credit but I don't want to have all of those inquiries on my reports.

Thank you

Welcome to the forums.

FICO scoring has a "de-duplication window" and it looks at your history for the last 12 months, and when it sees two or more hard inqs for the same type of mortgage or auto loan it will ignore all but one of them as far as scoring is concerned. If the lender is using an older FICO scoring model the window is 14 days, if they are using the newest model it can be up to 45 days. Also keep in mind that even though the multiple inqs count as one in FICO scoring, all of the inqs will continue to show on your reports (that is, reports pulled from sites other than myfico) for up to 2 years.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 6
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm not sure. I was given a TU score, which is my highest.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 4 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you

Welcome to the forums.

FICO scoring has a "de-duplication window" and it looks at your history for the last 12 months, and when it sees two or more hard inqs for the same type of mortgage or auto loan it will ignore all but one of them as far as scoring is concerned. If the lender is using an older FICO scoring model the window is 14 days, if they are using the newest model it can be up to 45 days. Also keep in mind that even though the multiple inqs count as one in FICO scoring, all of the inqs will continue to show on your reports (that is, reports pulled from sites other than myfico) for up to 2 years.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Thanks for giving me an understanding of that!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everybody I am a lot less confused now! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.