New Visitor
kyle_hart

Creditor Won't Charge-Off Debt

I have a client that has mortgage loan that was sold to a mortgage collection company and the mortgage collection company is stringing 120 day late payments along and they won't charge-off the debt even though is has not been paid in a couple years. Isn't there federal regualtion that requires them to charge-off the account? Can they continue to post 120 late payments on the account as if they account is open? If anyone has any more information or dealt with this please let me know. Thanks. 

Valued Contributor
JM-AM

Re: Creditor Won't Charge-Off Debt

No regulation that I know of.

Creditors, Lenders, can either write the loan off or keep on their books, I believe it is totally their choice.

If you have no plans to repay it, then it will come off your credit reportsin 7-71/2 years from the time it was first reported.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}