cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor Won't Charge-off Debt

New Visitor

Creditor Won't Charge-off Debt

I have a client that has mortgage loan that was sold to a mortgage collection company and the mortgage collection company is stringing 120 day late payments along and they won't charge-off the debt even though is has not been paid in a couple years. Isn't there federal regualtion that requires them to charge-off the account? Can they continue to post 120 late payments on the account as if they account is open?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Creditor Won't Charge-off Debt

I don't think there is any law that says a creditor HAS to charge off debt. Most creditors charge it off simply for tax purposes, they can take a write off for the debt.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Senior Contributor

Re: Creditor Won't Charge-off Debt

Locking thread, due to similar thread found here. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Creditor-Won-t-Charge-Off-Debt/m-p/2054077

OP, To avoid confusion-Please refrain from making duplicate posts.Lightnin, myFICO Moderator

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 3