cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Home is FHA and in escrow...how soon can we buy?

tag
ladyvwj
New Contributor

Current Home is FHA and in escrow...how soon can we buy?

Our current home is under FHA and in escrow now for 4 days. We have been looking for another home under FHA too - due to foreclosure. The LO says we can put in an offer at anytime, but I'm a bit worried that if one offer is accepted too soon, what if the closing date on the sale is delayed? Would we have to push out the escrow on the purchase too? We are trying to avoid too many days in between closing...we might not have a place to live. Is my situation pretty common now a days?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ladyvwj
New Contributor

Re: Current Home is FHA and in escrow...how soon can we buy?

Well as an update, on 5th day in escrow with our current home, we found another home to purchase and put in an offer. Our offer was accepted the same day but coincidentally, the buyers backed out of our current home! We contacted the 2nd bidder but he refused our counter offer, which is $5k less than list price. We decided to just throw the house back in the market and withdraw our offer on the purchase. Ugh...back to square one for us. It's been a couple days now and we just received an offer yesterday. We will decide later tonight whether to accept it since the buyers are asking for assistance in closing costs but they're offering list price. Just so nerve wrecking!

Message 2 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

My recommendation is to wait to make an offer on your next house until your current house is under contract and all contingencies on that contract have been satisfied.

Message 3 of 10
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Buying a house was convoluted and difficult enough in an ooen ended rental, I don't know how people manage coordinating buying and selling at the same time. All contingencies satisfied means you are probably closing in a week. I am not looking forward to ever moving.
Message 4 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@ezdriver wrote:

My recommendation is to wait to make an offer on your next house until your current house is under contract and all contingencies on that contract have been satisfied.

^^^ Good idea. One of the things your agent can negotiate into your next contract is "post closing seller possession" for X days. Usually 2 weeks to 30 days can be built into your contract so that once your buyer closes you don't move until 2 weeks or 30 days after your closing. You would pay rent for that time period but it is highly negotiable. this happens to be one of the standard addendums in the Florida FAR/BAR and I'm am relatively certain various state Purchase and Sale agreements have something similar. I have seen similar clauses/addenda in both AZ and VA.

It makes the transition much easier for you. Ask your agent for details.

Message 5 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@ezdriver wrote:

^^^ Good idea. One of the things your agent can negotiate into your next contract is "post closing seller possession" for X days. Usually 2 weeks to 30 days can be built into your contract so that once your buyer closes you don't move until 2 weeks or 30 days after your closing. You would pay rent for that time period but it is highly negotiable. this happens to be one of the standard addendums in the Florida FAR/BAR and I'm am relatively certain various state Purchase and Sale agreements have something similar. I have seen similar clauses/addenda in both AZ and VA.

It makes the transition much easier for you. Ask your agent for details.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My agent mentioned my options too but he said it's up to us what we want to do. I think I will try to convince the husband to wait a little longer before we start to look again. We received 3 offers yesterday and countered one. Waiting to see what happens today.

Message 6 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

In my last update above, we received 3 bids, 1st at the asking price going FHA, 2nd was at $5k less than asking price going Conventional and 3rd at $15k less going FHA. We went with the 2nd bid, however the buyer also has a “contingent upon sale of current” stipulation as well as noting that their current home is already 30 days into a 60 days escrow. DH risked it anyway and accepted the offer. DH has never been a patient man so he quickly wanted to search for a house to buy. And so we did. Below is the information on the purchase. 

Purchase Price: $330,000

Property: Single Family - 1870 sq ft

Attended Open House: 06/01

Submitted Offer on: 06/02 and sellers accepted within hours!

Signed Purchase Contract & Earnest $ submitted to title: 06/02

Appraisal Ordered: 06/10 (inspector went out 6/16 – told it would take 3 days for report)

Buyers initial walk-thru with agent: 06/12 (home is in pristine condition for its age - 30YO and considering everything is ORIGINAL - we would be the 2nd owners) Remaining LOE & Insurance Quote submitted: 6/17

Type of Loan: 30 year fixed FHA

Loan Rate: 4.25% LOCKED on 6/11 for 30 days

Appraisal Price: $330,000

Loan Conditional Approval: Pending (went to underwriting 6/19 – 2 to 3 days turn-around)

Additional Conditions: sale of current home

Clear to Close: Pending

Closing Date: ?

As an update…everything was going along just fine. The original plan was: our buyers were scheduled to close escrow on the sale of their current home during the week of 6/23, we were scheduled to close on the sale of our current home during the week of 7/1, and the close of our purchase was scheduled for the week of 7/7. But that all changed on 6/23! Our buyer’s buyer switched lenders last week, causing the closing dates to be pushed out 2-3 weeks! The reason provided to us by our buyer’s agent is: “an issue was discovered on my client’s buyer’s credit report thus resulting in a false condition given by the first lender. The new lender has assured us that there will not be any issues funding the loan”. YES, that is CRAZY! I “was” going to post the data below a few days ago on the “July Closing” thread but delayed it due to fear of jinxing our progress. Either way, it seems my housing drama has taken a sharp turn.

At this point, I’m not sure what is going to happen. I am more disappointed than I am upset. We understand that these are things that can go wrong in the housing purchase/sale process and we took a risk. There is a small part of me that wants to keep my hopes up high. However, most of me… just wants to give up. I told DH that if this deal falls through, I am giving up. He doesn't want me to give up because he is confident the deal will go through just fine. Our buyers are just as frustrated as we are but at this point, there is nothing either of us can do but wait it out. All extensions have been filed. To make matters worst, the new projected close date falls on a scheduled vacation for us (booked a year ago). We will be out of state. Ofcourse, we had anticipated in the beginning that all would be settled by then. Yes, we also informed all parties that we WILL be gone. So if the deal does go through that week, closing may be delayed another week!

Overall, I feel traumatized and I feel like the whole process over the last 6 months has just been draining on the whole family. We are stuck with the FHA option until we can qualify for a Conventional loan (2017). Our house is a cute little home but we wanted to move to a better neighborhood for the sake of our kids and for the long haul before the market gets any more expensive but that may not happen. I am bracing myself for a loss. Is there any hope?

Message 7 of 10
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Most of the time things work out, so I'd think positively.  Don't forget to enjoy your vacation, it sounds like you've earned it.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

Most of the time things work out, so I'd think positively.  Don't forget to enjoy your vacation, it sounds like you've earned it.

Thank you Shane! Your feedback gives me more hope. Yes, DH says we are NOT going to cancel vacation since we barely get a real vacation. Going to enjoy it!

Message 9 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

Received news today... we survived underwriting without any additional requests! Smiley Happy

Now we must wait patiently for the sale to go through! Smiley Sad

Purchase Price: $330,000 Property: Single Family - 1870 sq ft

Attended Open House: 06/01

Submitted Offer on: 06/02 and sellers accepted within hours!

Signed Purchase Contract & Earnest $ submitted to title: 06/02

Appraisal Ordered: 06/10 (inspector went out 6/16 – told it would take 3 days for report)

Buyers initial walk-thru with agent: 06/12 (home is in pristine condition for its age - 30YO and considering everything is ORIGINAL - we would be the 2nd owners) Remaining LOE & Insurance Quote submitted: 6/17

Type of Loan: 30 year fixed FHA

Loan Rate: 4.25% LOCKED on 6/11 for 30 days (extended on 6/23)

Appraisal Price: $330,000

Loan Conditional Approval: Approved 6/26 contingent upon sale (went to underwriting 6/19)

Additional Conditions: sale of current home

Clear to Close: Pending

Closing Date: ?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.