Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIVORCE AND MORTGAGE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DIVORCE AND MORTGAGE

I need advice on a certain issue, I left my ex-wife the house when we divorced. I am in the military and when we split I stated in the divorce decree that the house would be hers but my VA loan is still associated with that house as well as my credit. She has been deliquent in payments for over 120 days and my credit score is suffering. Right now I am at a 613 on Transunion. I need advice as to what I should do.

Thank you,

Stephen DeJesus

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: DIVORCE AND MORTGAGE

Does your divorce decree not address the mortgage on the property? If not, you had a fool for an attorney. Your only way to get your name off that mortgage os for the ex-wife to refinance the that mortgage or the mortgagor ro foreclose on the property.

Message 2 of 4
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...one of the things you should be doing is talking to the VA about your loan ...if the mortgage is foreclosed you stand to lose your rights to future VA home loan benefits and you really want to do everything you can to protect them ...not sure what they can do but you should at the very least document your situation with them now

...afaik 120 days late is effectively an automatic foreclosure, it just takes a while for the mortgage holder to move on it ...the VA loan may or may not protect you from a deficiency judgement ...a foreclosure will not only tank your credit but lock you out of the mortgage market for some years ...the divorce decree probably won't help you as your name remains on the loan

...if possible, you should get the house on the market

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 4
Calidreaming
Regular Contributor

My hubby was in a similar situation.  He and his ex wife were both on the mortgage for their house.  They had agreed to sell it and the divorce decree provided that they both would make pay half the mortgage until it was sold.  Ex wife did not make a single payment on the house.  Unfortunately, this happened right when the housing bubble burst so the house did not sell and the value of it fell so much that it was about 100K underwater.  Hubby made the payments on his own for a while, but eventually the house went into foreclosure because we needed to move.  His attorney said that he could file for contempt against his ex wife, but that it would pretty much be a fruitless endeavor because she was broke and plus he did not want to do anything to hurt the children.  She had also moved to Texas which is a very debtor friendly state.

It's terribly unfair but there's not much you can do about it legally or otherwise but move on and rebuild.   Hubby and I are going to buy a home with just me on the mortgage.  He has been able to rebuild his credit somewhat and has been able to get car loans and credit cards.  So the foreclosure is not really going to matter that much anyway.  For you, I hope you are able to preserve your rights to the VA mortgage.  

It can take a long time for the foreclosure to go through.  Hubby stopped making payments in 2011 and home did not foreclose until this year because of some problem with the paperwork.  No deficiency judgments were filed and we're past the statute of limitations on it.  It was a 80/20 loan and it's conceivable the second mortgage lender may come after hubby at some point within 7 years, but we'll just have to wait and see.  His attorney told him if that happened he could probably negotiatle it down to less than half of what is owing.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.