Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO I HAVE A CHANCE

tag
rhowar2199
Established Member

DO I HAVE A CHANCE

Today I purchase the score watch with myfico.com and pulled a fico score of 648 with equifax, and a transunion score of 672 not sure what experian is BTW. But what I am trying to do is purchase a home within the next 6 months... My debt currently is 24K on a car loan, and 1,600 on a credit card c.l. $2000, I have three other cards but do not use them all have 0 balances.. What are my chances of getting approved for FHA loan?

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 648
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: DO I HAVE A CHANCE

Your chances are really good with your current scores. The $1600 balance is really hurting your scores. I would get that balance down to 9% before you apply.

If I may ask, why are you applying in 6 months versus now? FHA rules are changing on April 1st and June 3rd that will make the cost of the loan much more expensive.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 20
rhowar2199
Established Member

Thanks for the reply the only reason im waiting for 6 months to get down payment cash needed for FHA loan, I would love to apply and process now  but I need the down payment cash first from what I understand...

Message 3 of 20
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I would contact your local housing authority and ask if they have any downpayment assistance programs. Also check with your local credit unions. I went through our local housing authority and only had to pay $2,000 for earnest money and $425 for the inspection. 3% of the downpayment required for FHA was rolled into a second mortgage and the builder paid my closing costs. I could have rolled the closing costs into the second mortgage too! My cash due at closing was $133. The home price was $347,900.

Do you have a 401K account you can borrow from for the down? The new FHA rules on PMI will be really nasty.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

While your scores are fine, other requirements need to be considered. Since you mentuon your debt then make sure your DTI qualifies or pay down the debt if you need too.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 20
rhowar2199
Established Member

I do have a 401k plan it only has about $1200 dollars in there so not very much cash at this time for down payment... But will down payment assistance program help with all the up front cash or am I still in need of cash before even applying for a loan? BTW I have no idea how to purchase this condo

Message 6 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Some housing authorities will pay some if not all.

As movingfoward mention contact yours and see what they have available
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 20
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

nothing i see will be a problem. if your debt to income ratios are good.... you have a great chance
Retired Lender
Message 8 of 20
rhowar2199
Established Member

I will do thanks and my debt to income ration is only 14% that's with my car and the credit card... But will it be a crazy idea to take out a loan to get the money needed for the down payment for the home, BTW IM sure I can pay it off in 4 months just don't want to be affected by the new changes FHA has coming

Message 9 of 20
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You have to use your own funds for the downpayment. Any monies that aren't yours will need to be seasoned for 2 months.

There are programs like the one I did that will allow you to put your downpayment in a second mortgage or provide a grant for the down.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.