Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI Question

tag
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

DTI Question

I'm looking to apply for a mortgage about 6 months from now. I have about 27,000 available credit I recently obtained in which I never carry more than 200-300 blance between all. How is DTI figured? Is it how much you have available to you compared to income or how much you used(owe) compared to income?

Also, is 6 months long enough for loan officer to see good payments on new accounts?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: DTI Question

% DTI, as it applies to getting approved for a mortgage, has two calculations:  1) the monthly cost of the new mortgage as a percentage of your gross monthly income, (called front end ratio) and 2) the monthly cost of the new mortgage plus the monthly cost of other debt including cc's, auto loans, student loans etc. This second calculation is the back end ratio.

The costs that go into figuring the front end ratio are: principal and interest payment, real estate taxes, hazard insurance, and mortgage insurance (if applicable). If the property has an HOA or Condo maintenance fee, then that fee is used in the calculation too. The maximum allowed ratio for the front end depends upon the loan type. FHA max is about 46.99% but that is no where near ideal. For an ideal file the front end ratio should be much less. Conventional loans the lenders prefer less, 28% to 36% is common.

The costs that go into the back end ratio are all of the figures for the front end plus your cc monthly minimum payments, auto payments, student loan payments, child support or alimony, and installment loan payments, and any other debt you have (not utilities or phone). The max ratio allowed for the back end on a FHA is 56.99% of your monthly gross income. Again that is not at all ideal, and you probably would have to have other compensating factors to allow a back end ratio that high. Conventional loans the max back end is 45% of your gross monthly income.

These maximum ratios can be less depending upon the individual funding lender.

So HYPA$$33, did you just graduate school and are now working or have you been working in your industry for more than two years? Your scores are fine for an FHA loan and even a conventional loan (but the MI would be higher since your mid score is less than 720).

It looks like you might be in very good shape for a score increase once the cc's age a little bit.

Message 2 of 4
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

I've been at my current job 3 years but same field for 14 yrs, just changed jobs from a competitor. I'm looking to do loan about 6 months from now so my scores should be in good shape by then with 6 months of aging.
Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

It sounds like you are in good shape. I answered your question using FHA ratios in the other thread but really, you might consider going conventional (the ratios are lower).

Now you just might want to let your cc's age a bit and save up funds so you are ready at your target time six months from now.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.