Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DTI Question

Hi,

I have less than 5 payments left on my auto loan.  Im planning to apply for a home loan in december/january and wondering if my 525.00 auto loan payment will be calculated into my DTI ration.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Re: DTI Question

I think any debt that will be paid off in a certain amount of time(i think 8 months) doesn't count towards DTI

Message 2 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

yes, because it is considered 'significant'

significant = $100+

however, if you have the assets.... you 'could' back out the balance from checking and move forward.

example:  owe $2000 on car(balance)

have $10K in checking

underwriters sometimes will let the processor back $2000 out of the 10k (submit loan with 8k assets) and let you exclude from dti

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I dont have the money in savings/checking and likely wont by that time.  I am planning to pull money from my 401k.  Im assuming that my 401k would be considered as an asset in this scenario?  Am I wrong?

Message 4 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.  I dont have the money in savings/checking and likely wont by that time.  I am planning to pull money from my 401k.  Im assuming that my 401k would be considered as an asset in this scenario?  Am I wrong?

i would push for it if the file was otherwise strong.... and i always win my pushes.

hard to say without looking at the whole file.

what is dti with/without that payment?       ??% / ??%

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

5000 gross per month

525 Car Note

250 IRS Installment

500 Student Loans (currently in deferrment; ends in Jan/Feb 2015)

If my calculations are correct the DTI is 25% with car note/15%

I have 4 credit cards which I pay down to zero every month.  Not sure how to calculate CCs into DTI...???

Message 6 of 12
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

5000 * .45  =  2250  that would be max total debt with house

2250 - 525 - 250 - 500 = 975 left over for housing payment

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Why did you multiply by .45?  Where does the .45 come from?  Not quite understanding... sorry if my questions seems silly...

Message 8 of 12
edcampbell613
Contributor

45 was the DTI he was using I am guessing.

Message 9 of 12
edcampbell613
Contributor

Also, is the car note a lease?

If you are a month or 2 away from it being paid off at time of closing, some underwriters will not count the car payment pending strenght of the file.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.