Valued Member
maryellis1981

DTI Ratio and Reserves When Applying for a Mortgage

Hi Everyone- I have posted a couple of time but usually just lurk but I have a couple of questions about the loan process.

1.  I have researched online that the DTI ration should be no more than 25% front-end and 36% back-end.  Is this DTI standard for conventional mortgages as well?  Also I took a loan out on my 401k last year when I was going through a divorce and am currently paying back the loan (taken from my pay) $112 monthly.  Will this monthly loan payment be included in my back-end DTI when applying for a loan?

2.  I have also seen mention that the banks these days require reserves when applying for a mortgage.  Is there a certain amount of reserves (exclusive ot the down-payment) that you a required to have liquid when applying?

Thanks!

Valued Contributor
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor

Re: DTI Ratio and Reserves When Applying for a Mortgage

1 No you are paying yourself back so it wont count

2 - it depends on the program

FHA VA USDA do not require reserves

for conventional they like to see a minimum of 2 months worth of mortgage payment

if it is an investment then I believe it is 6 months reserves

The DTI amounts you listed are very conservative you can get financing with higher DTI than that

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker Lending in all 50 states -
Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

FHA prefers 31/43% ratios, but up to about 45% & 57% can qualify.  USDA prefers 29/41%, but up to about 38% & 49-50% can qualify with good credit & some reserves.  VA prefers 41%, but even into the 60's can qualify, although most lenders cap out at about 50-55%.

Fannie Mae can approve up to 49.99%, Freddie Mac can approve up to 55%, but anything above 45% requires excellent credit & a lot (6+) of reserves.

Valued Member
maryellis1981

Shane- thank you for the info!  I estimate that my DTI will definitely be on the lower side around 23% front end and 34% back end.  But it's good to know that the DTI is flexible.

c40
New Visitor
c40

What fico score is needed to get a mortgage  loan?   Can I purchase a home with a 626 score? Thanks C40

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+