Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI question/Joint applicant employment history - mortgage

tag
dubcee33
Established Member

DTI question/Joint applicant employment history - mortgage

Hello Everyone...I have a couple questions regarding DTI and joint applicant employment. 

We plan to build a new home between $218k- $225k. 5% down. Tax rate is 3.34%, but with homestead exemptions it is effectively 2.8%.

I'm hoping to start the mortgage process in January 2015. I really want to avoid applying with my wife (due to the efforts needed to clean up her credit while saving for down payment AND paying down my own debt), but my DTI is just too close for comfort. Is 42% DTI a big problem on conventional loans? All the online resources recommend 36%. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and clean up her credit because I don't want any surprises. I plan to apply with Navy Federal CU and another CU to try to avoid PMI. 

My concern is my wife's employment. She recently started a job @ $35k. And by the time we apply for the mortgage, she will be employed less than a year. She was a stay at home mom before that with little/no income. Will most lenders overlook her employment being less than 2 years given my stable history and a favorable DTI of 36%? I have been in the same job since 2010. If her employment history will be a problem, I will just go a little cheaper on the home to get my DTI under 40% and save the hassle of dealing with her credit.

My situation (without my wife's info):

My Middle Score: 650 (but should be over 700 after I pay down my debts and age my new accounts for the next 8 months. currently 60% utilization ratio. also, 7 inq. will fall off)

Perfectly clean payment history except. Only 1 settled collection.

Gross Income: $71k

Monthly debts: $745 (CS, student loans, no car payment since only 8 payments will be left at the time)

DTI = ~41-42% (too close for comfort) Smiley Sad

Our situation together:

Lower of our 2 middle scores: 690-710 (after I fix my wife's credit)

Gross Income: $110,000

Monthly Debts: $1700 (this number is inflated due to my wife's student loans being in deferment so I put $500 since the lender will use standard payment. The actual payment under IBR will be a lot less.

DTI = 36-37% (a lot better)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
TurboFX
New Contributor

Re: DTI question/Joint applicant employment history - mortgage

Depending on the state that you live in and the program you choose, her debts might still be factored into your dti even though she is not on the loan. If she was a student and now recently employed then she does not need to be at her current job for 2 years. You can also call and make paymebt arrangements on her student loan so they will report a payment amount on her credit.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.