cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt, Employment History and Income...Any Hope for First Home Purchase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt, Employment History and Income...Any Hope for First Home Purchase?

I'm just curious about mortgages with respect to my current situation.

First of all, is it an unwritten rule that you need to have been with your employer for at least two years to be considered for a mortgage? Or is it that you just need to have been employed consistently for the last two years?

Previously unemployed, I accepted a short-term, contract position in February of 2006. The project ended in January of 2007 and I was unemployed (aside from some very low paying freelance work and a six week temp job) until September of 2007.

In September of 2007, I accepted a marketing position with a nonprofit. I was with them for 15 months and then made a lateral move into the private sector because I felt that my position wasn't secure (nonprofit in this recession!). I have been with my new employer for six weeks now and this is also a marketing position.

Over the last few months, I also interviewed with other companies, in addition to my new employer. I received a call today from a company I had interviewed with in November and December. I don't have a formal offer yet, but I have reason to believe that they will extend one in the next few weeks. I currently make $50k/year in my brand new position. The position I received a call about today could potentially and realistically pay circa $100k/year.

That would be difficult to turn down. However, that will be three different jobs in just two years...and part of that time, I was unemployed.

How will this affect my ability to buy a home? 

Now, for the difficult part. I have two masters degrees and about $68k in student loan debt. I also have about $11k in credit card debt (total available credit about $90k). I do have assets...mostly bank stocks that have taken a beating over the last couple of years. These assets were to have covered a down payment on a home, but now I can't touch them. I have just lost too much and need to wait for the market to turn around. My assets are currently valued at about $25k. Also, I own my car and have good credit: EQ 763, EX 763, TU 790.

I am completely new to all of this and have never purchased a home. Is it even possible to do so, given my circumstances?

Also, any advice on how to move forward or what to expect would be greatly appreciated. 

BTW, I have a brother who has $120k in student loans. He now earns about $65k/year, but did a stated income loan 2.5 years ago when he purchased his home. He had about $5k in credit card debt and his credit scores weren't as high as mine (high 600s and low 700s). The house he bought was only $289, but they were practically throwing more money at him. I know that this was a different time and situation, but I would like to think that I could get something similar. However, it doesn't seem so.

Again, many thanks in advance to all who respond! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Debt, Employment History and Income...Any Hope for First Home Purchase?

Since you've been continuously employed for at least 6 months there really shouldn't be any worries about the employment.  Sure you've been switching around, but as long as you aren't going backwards in income/positions then an underwriter would be OK with that.

Unless you are eligible for a USDA or VA loan, or your income is low enough you are eligible for down payment assistance, you will need to come up with some sort of down payment.  The funds can either be your own or on some programs you can get gift funds as well.  3.5% down is required for FHA, and with less than 5-10% down that is usually the better route to take, with 5% or more down then with your scores conventional financing would be a strong competitor.  As long as your debt to income ratio looks good for the home you'd be buying I don't see you having any problems.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.