Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt to income

tag
iluvdodgetrx
Valued Member

Debt to income

What ratio do most mortgage lenders want your debt to income to be before and after the loan?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Heavanly1
Regular Contributor

Re: Debt to income

This depends completely on the lender you are using.

A friend of mine was able to close on her mortgage with a 50% back-end debt-to-income ratio.

I'm also in the midst of purchasing my first home and my lender told me they'd be willing to go up to 50% back-end debt-to-income ratio as well. However, I would not be comfortable with those payments so I sat down, crunched my own numbers, and felt like the best for me would be a front-end debt-to-income ratio of 30% or less and a back-end debt to income ratio of 40% or less.

I suggest you sit down with your budget, figure out what a comfortable housing payment is for your circumstances (including utilities and maintenance), and then work backwards and see the what you qualify for at that monthly payment.

Message 2 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

they really do not care about before just after the loan

and 50% is a max for many banks however with FHA you can get an automated approval up to 55-57%

but bank overlays will often not allow it

so keep it under 50% total DTI and you should be able to find a bank

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 5
jerrydurden
Established Member

FHA 55-57% DTI ratio? For real? Can you take a look at my recent post and tell me what you think are my chances of getting approved with that in mind and for what amount?

Thanks!

Starting Score: 474 7/2007
Current Score: 688 6/2013
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

You may get an automated approval but most banks will not care as they have their own guidelines that say 50% or less

That is where you need to be

There are a few banks that will take it higher but the rest of the file will need to be solid

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.