Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred Student Loans and Mtg Options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deferred Student Loans and Mtg Options

You are absolutely right. I made a choice to better my life. I chose to attend a great undergraduate, graduate, and law school. I also made a choice to go to the best law school I got into, regardless of cost. You are right these options come with a lot of student loan debt. I do not regret any of it. Besides needless spending/credit card debt after undergrad (yikes!) I learned my lesson about being financially ready and have strived to save as much as possible in my current situation.

However, I think that you missed the point. I will pay my student loans per the repayment agreements. I most likely will not default on any of my loans. What you failed to realize is that I feel that the banks do not understand the scheme for federal educational finance and in my opinon unfairly penalize people through DTI. All risk is not the same, nor are all payments. However, the banks do understand that people, like some members of my family make mistakes. They lend to people with terrible credit and a proven track record of not paying their bills. They look past these unforgiveable mistakes. They lend to people with DTI blinders on. They fail to look at the whole package. I have two careers to fall back on. My family members with their terrible credit and non-stable jobs were able to buy a house. These are the same people that I have to give money to so that they can stay current on their mortgage. Yes, I am resentful. I've worked hard to get to this point in my life and they took the easy path. When their house is eventually foreclosed on I’ll feel sorry for them, but then again life happens.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deferred Student Loans and Mtg Options

have you tried SOFI, imho SOFI is not exactly a student loan REFI company it typically looks for borrowers like you. they bragged about a borrower with very high student loan debt in california (Silicon valley area) getting a home loan for 850k ( typical price in silicon valley), and only reason loan was issued was two things very high income and job stability. i think he was management level. they dont care DTI or student loan BS just show me what you got in income & job. 

sofi.com,

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.