cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied on first loan application. Other options?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied on first loan application. Other options?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
It's possible he suffered a drop in score because his utilization decreased. Also, if that account had a long history, he lost credit age as well. Both are two big things FICO considers when looking at credit scores.

Our lender is not requiring all of my collections to be paid, BUT, they did suggest that I take care of them as it will help my score. I have 2 apartment collections, a charge off from a repossession, 2 defaulted student loans, and 4 medical collections.

I was hesitant to do anything about it, and questioned our lender SEVERAL times because it didn't make sense to me. AND all of these collections are scheduled to fall off my report between August 2017-February 2018.

After many discussions with the lender, and realizing I need to look at the bigger picture and clean my credit if anything, I gave in. The collections that needed to be handled with some type of payment totaled $3,830. I settled it for $1,340. My other collections total $7,610, all of which will fall off by July.

What I've come to learn, if you trust your lender, then do what they advise. Their opinions aren't ideas being bounced off the wall. They've seen hundreds of mortgage apps, and some have simulators that can manipulate your score to see what will happen when you resolve negative items.

Thank you so much, you've actually made me feel a little more hopeful lol. His TU mortgage score went up after they were removed, so that's why at the time I didn't suspect any damage to the other mortgage scores. And of course now I feel like if I added them again, his TU mortgage score would just drop again, not solving anything. I thought about the age of the accounts but he's an authorized user on other cards of mine that were opened at the same time. I don't know if that means anything or not, the whole thing is confusing. One card is over 50% utilization and the other is currently over limit. I really thought removing him would help overall.

One of my cards that the previous lender told me to remove him from is an even older account with excellent history. My Victoria's Secret card with an $1150 limit, 0 balance. Should I go against her advice and not remove him? I removed from the two others she asked, those ones aren't as old and even though the history is great with those as well they have small limits.

We will happily settle the Verizon collection but I'm worried about settling anything else because we'll be using up our savings, 2100 right now in the savings account but we'll also be applying for down payment assistance which we qualify for. So that concerns me because I know they don't want to see an empty savings account.

Tomorrow we'll be calling the new lender and I really hope he can help us out. He was actually supposed to call us this morning but never did. I assumed he was busy, his secretary said he was yesterday, but now that I saw what my husbands middle score dropped to I hope he didn't just pass on us. I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm in panic mode. I worked so hard on his credit and when it finally looked like we were in a good place this happens. And then the medical collection showing up. It's all so stressful Smiley Sad

If he as a credit card over the limit that will cost you 20-30 points immediately.  I would sign him up for Myfico while your in this process so you can see the scores for yourself, see the alerts as things change and know where you stand.  My opinion is that resolving collections is always a good idea.  They may not always result in an increase in credit score but a loan officer is going to view someone with a history of collections that are all resolved very differently than someone with multiple collections that are still out there. If you were a loan officer which customer would you rather loan money to?  My overall opinion of your situation is your not ready to move forward.  Going through a home purchase is very stressful even when you don't have these factors working against you.  

Personally I would take a step back, resolve these collections, pay down all of the credit cards to under 10% each, build more savings and get your husbands scores substantially above 620 and than take a shot at it when you can put your best foot forward. Bringing down the utlization alone is a great way to bump scores.  Other than that getting collections removed is another so I would try Pay for Deletes on all of them rather than just paying them and having them report.  Most collections agencies don't want to do that but you might get lucky and get one or two to go along which could make a huge difference.

Lending standards have become far more strict because new banking regulations since the forclosure crisis have been put in place to try and ensure that folks don't get qualified for a mortgage they cannot handle.  In this environment you really can't have multiple things working against you.  If your husband had all of these other issues taken care of and solid scores they would not worry about how long he has been at this particular job but that combined with everything else makes them concerned.   

He doesn't, I do and he was an authorized user. It's a high interest card so even though I've been paying more than above the minimum payment, it's slow to pay down without a large chunk of money. Other than that and my Wal Mart card that I also removed him from, we've paid off all our cards. Not all of them have reported so some still show very small balances on his account. We do have MyFico for him and that's how I've been tracking everything.

We've been working on his credit since his small lapse in work in 2013, so his history has been excellent since. I'm not sure what more I can do except tackle the other collections with PFD so if that's what the lender suggests, that's what we'll do. I don't want to settle the medical one because he wasn't liable for it. He had insurance so that's how I got it off his report when it showed up two years ago. So hopefully that one won't be an issue and I can dispute it after the mortgage.

Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Some thoughts,

first, I tried quicken... perhaps my case wasn't the norm but they required me to pony upfront appraisal costs. Then after the appraisal they made me remove some disputes (I understand why) and I was pretty naive but essentially when I removed the disputes my score dropped from 640 to 590. I tried like heck to get the score up, but never succeeded, this was back in 2014. They hit report 7 times with a hard pull which made it even worse.

what learned is that if you have any collections or charge offfs reporting a balance, you must pay the balance off first. No lender will move forward if you have outstanding colections or balances on charge offs. This was my problem with the disputed account, it had a $7800 balance that kicked in as soon as the dispute was removed.

from what I understood, all collections had to be removed. Charge offs were do-able as long as there was no balance.

i won't be  using quicken this time around, actually will be starting up a refinance now that I have taken care of all of the above issues. 

Best of luck

I've actually heard that not all lenders will require all collections to be paid. The lender I talked to previously said she only wanted Verizon and Direct TV settled because they were "utility" collections.  The only other collection on the report is to an apartment complex. He also has a car reposession. And now as of today an old medical collection that popped up on equifax.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to settle Verizon if I don't have to. I don't even know if settling Direct TV is going to help. They said the tradline would be deleted and I read that's what can improve your scores but I've read so many conflicting things about this I don't know what to believe. I don't even understand how the Experian mortgage score dropped so much just from him being removed from cards that were almost maxed out. And the FICO8 score had actually gone up.

I closed on my loan with 4 undpaid collections between my husband and I on our reports (and a paid judgement).  I did have to get the dispute comments removed, but since they were closed disputes (my scores were already being computed with the collections vs and active dispute which would not calculate the collections) my score did not change at all with the comments removed. We were actually told NOT to touch tnem (pay them off), as it would re-date them making them current instead of 5 years old and could count worse toward us even with a zero balance.

Oh really? That's good to know, maybe the new lender will be the same way. I saw you used Quicken, are they as strict with the 620 minimum score for FHA as other lenders? Like I said I'm really hoping that we'll have his middle score back up there once the collection is off, but I'm curious to see if we'd have options if not.

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicken says they accept a credit score of 580 for their FHA loans, but I cant tell you for sure as our lowest middle score was 630ish...

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember, lenders have their own set of "overlays". Which means that lenders can have additional requirements above and beyond what the minimum guidelines are. 

For example, the FHA regulated minimum credit score is 580. However, some lenders might require that applicants have at least a 600-640 credit score to apply with them. FHA also has their own set of guidelines for those who have collections on their credit, BUT, a lender may require that the applicant have no collections when applying for a mortgage. 

There are plenty of people on these threads that have closed their loans with collections on their report. Use my scenario for example, our lender said if my score was at least 620, I wouldn't have had to pay ANY of the collections and could have simply done an LOE(Letter of Explanation) because my collections are all from March 2011-October 2011. I had given birth to my son and suffered from post-partum at the time and also lost my job, so bills were the last thing on my mind unfortunately. Since then, I've had good accounts, except for the Comenity from last month of course. 

Keep us updated with what the other lender says. I can send you a PM with good online mortgage companies that was suggested by StartingOver, who is also on this thread. Her suggestion was that sometimes it's best to go with an online mortgage company instead of going to your Credit Union or another big bank. 

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for all your advice! These forums are pretty much the only reason I can remain hopeful about our situation haha. I got the information from StartingOver and if the lender we've reached out to doesn't call us soon, we're contacting the one StartingOver suggested. I just want to get working with someone already. We've already fallen in love with this home (I know, rookie mistake haha) and we'd be so disappointed if someone put in an offer before we could. I wasn't expecting the mortgage score drop at all when we stared this whole process.

I'll definitely keep you updated! Hopefully we'll be talking to either lender before the afternoon and find out where we go from here.
Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am making a correction.. my husbands middle score wsa 630.  My middle score (just pulled the report up) was 609. 

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am making a correction.. my husbands middle score wsa 630.  My middle score (just pulled the report up) was 609. 

My mortgage scores are most likely higher than my husbands. My report is totally clean, I just have high utilization overall so that's why I won't be on the loan. And because I don't have an income I don't think my scores will matter anyway. I do receive child support but only 200 a month.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.