cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining exact start and end of our yard!!

tag
cbmcbm
Established Member

Determining exact start and end of our yard!!

Quick question!!!  Finally closed on a mortgage in April. Quite exciting and excited. With all the excitement  we did not find out exactly where our yard ends on 3 sides of the house. We wanted to install a fence at the back. Where would I go or who would I contact to find legally where our yard ends?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Determining exact start and end of our yard!!

First I went to the county website and was able to run a plat search and found my lot which contains all of the measurements (and easements).  Not sure if you're county has a website that you can do that but either way, go to the county to get the plat.  I decided that instead of a possible argument with my neightbors I hired a surveryor for $300 who staked out my lot line.  Sometimes you can find the markers that are buried (see the plat it has the location of the markers) but I couldn't find any of them and neither could the surveryor (he used GPS).  Also, my city had an ordinance related to fences (i.e. set back rules) so you'll want to check that out too. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.