Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between a mortgage broker and other lenders

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between a mortgage broker and other lenders

i don't understand the difference between a broker and a lender like NCFU or Quicken Loans. Anyone want to fill me in on this? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Difference between a mortgage broker and other lenders

A broker has a network of lenders so is able to quote you out to multiple lenders for the best rates and quotes, a lender like NFCU just has one set APR, closing costs etc.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

3+ types of lenders

Bank: Think checking account and mortgage from the same guy.... not good at loans, but we all sell our loans to them because they are good at servicing them.

Banker: Lendes with their own money. In house processing and underwriting. All decisions made in house. Sells loans to a servicer post closing. Best situation for me personally. Rates same as big banks

Broker: In house proccessing, sends file to lender for underwriting. Typically more hoops to jump thru as far as approval conditions are concerned. Typically a wee bit better rates for your trouble. 

Banker/Broker hybrid: Still a broker, but can underwrite files in house for some of the lenders they sell to

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

DallasLoanGuy's answer above should be stickied!  ^^^

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

3+ types of lenders

Bank: Think checking account and mortgage from the same guy.... not good at loans, but we all sell our loans to them because they are good at servicing them.

Banker: Lendes with their own money. In house processing and underwriting. All decisions made in house. Sells loans to a servicer post closing. Best situation for me personally. Rates same as big banks

Broker: In house proccessing, sends file to lender for underwriting. Typically more hoops to jump thru as far as approval conditions are concerned. Typically a wee bit better rates for your trouble. 

Banker/Broker hybrid: Still a broker, but can underwrite files in house for some of the lenders they sell to

So which do you think woud be best to work with? 

Mid 600's score

Va Loan

38% DTI

Checking and Savings with USAA and NFCU

Message 5 of 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Great explanation from Dallas! The only thing I would add is this:

A mortgage banker like myself is really kind of a hybrid between a bank like Wells & a broker.

Here's what I mean. We underwrite, close & fund all of our loans like Wells BUT we have multiple options like a broker. If you don't fit in the "box" for Wells they can't help you but I have 10-12 different investors that I sell to so if you don't fit the guidelines for one, chances are I have an option that will work. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.