Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disclose a foreclosure??

tag
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

Disclose a foreclosure??

I had a foreclosure in 2002. It was included in a BK which is no longer reporting on any of my CB's.  Is this something I need to disclose when they ask "Have you ever had a foreclosure?"

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pedsaktix
Valued Member

Re: Disclose a foreclosure??

It is really up to you..  Since this is a non issue anymore and thus.. you said it's not in your CR, it is in your discresion really.  For me however I'll just tell them in a casual way and if however they found out, I think they will appreciate your honesty..

Starting Score: TU 627 EQ 619
Current Score: TU 647 EQ 629
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

They could possibly check public records for it and often times they do. So just because it is not on your credit report doesn't mean they won't find out about it. Same goes for the BK. So I would be upfront about it. I don't think it will hinder you in any way.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 9
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

I wasn't certain the information would be available to them or not.  Although I received money back on the foreclosure, I still wasn't sure if it mattered. Nothing like honesty I guess. It's tough to fight the facts.

Message 4 of 9
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Yeah, don't try and hide it.  Even if the foreclosure is an old one, and won't render you ineligible for a loan anymore, you do have an obligation to tell the truth.

Message 5 of 9
cclee
Regular Contributor

My application only asked for the last 7yrs, it didn't ask "have you ever".

In The Garden Until 11/01/15 - Last App 11/03/13
Message 6 of 9
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't try to hide it...but I wouldn't bring it up either.

If they ask about it then fine...but don't mention it if they don't ask about it.
Message 7 of 9
jocleveland
Regular Contributor

It's been 11 years so I should be okay.  My VA benefit is still partially available so I'm hoping it doesn't come up.

Message 8 of 9
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

It depends on the Lender. As mentioned read the question before you answer it.

If the question does not pertain to you (with in the last 7 years as example) then the answer is NO. If the question is have you ever had a BK or Foreclosure then the answer is YES.

As long as you answer the question honestly, you will be fine.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.