Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute Removals---- more info. than you prob. ever want to know

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute Removals---- more info. than you prob. ever want to know

Hello there Mortgage Seekers-

So my BF and I are in the process of finalizing our mortgage on our place in lovely Portland, OR.   My credit is the less glamorous of our two scores- my mid mortgage FICO is 678 (yes, TWO points from the 680 band), while his is 750.  So mine is the lower of the two mid scores, thus my credit details are being hashed out.

I'm working with a good, local mortgage broker here in Portland, and he took a close look at my credit report and told me that in his experience the following comments did not kick a loan out of LP (the Freddie Mac automated underwriter):  "Dispute Resolved, Customer Disagrees."    Long story short, a couple of years back I decided to go on an uninformed credit clean up by disputing all negatives.  Well, it has come back to haunt me now.   I have three "Dispute Resolved, Customer Disagrees" comments on my report that I must remove in order for the LP software to allow my application to be approved.

The mortgage broker called Freddie Mac to ask why these comments were counting as "disputes" though the accounts were now resolved and paid off.   Broker said that in the past, these exact same type of comments had not been counted in the LP software.  Answer from Freddie:  if the word "dispute" exists in the comments at all, dispite the account being closed or in good standing, then the software will kick the application back.  

So, I went on a direct-call-to-the-CRAs binge today to have those comments removed.  Here are the results:

Experian:  714-830-7000.   Answered immediately, and i asked for the "Excutive Customer Service Team" as Shane The Mortgage Man suggested in his helpful "removing disutes" message.  The nice lady who answered told me that Team doesn't exist any longer, but asked if I was calling to remove disputes.  I told her yes I was, she looked up my file, and said she would remove the diputes.  She said it would take 24-72 hours to show up, and she'd send me a copy of the new report in USPS.

TransUnion:  312-985-2000.   Connected to someone in India.  I asked for the "Special Handling Department" in the U.S.  She asked why I was calling and I told her to remove dispute comments. She looked them up, and then asked if she could put me on hold.  She came back and said she could help, but that it would take 30 days.  I told her "no good, please transfer me to the "Special Handling Department" in the U.S.  I was put on hold, then disconnected.  I called back, and this time insisted in the beginning to be transferred to the Special Handling Department in the U.S.  Twenty minutes later someone answered.  I told her what I needed and that I needed it for a pending mortgage.  She removed the comments on the spot.

Equifax:  they are only open 9-5, eastern time . So I will cal in the morning.

So far, only about 30 minutes spent, with positive results.  Hopefully removing the comments won't hurt my scores, because they were "dispute resolved" anyway, and on two late payments associated wtih car loans long since paidi off.   Fingers crossed!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute Removals---- more info. than you prob. ever want to know

Update:  called Equifax this am, and it was very easy.  A human asnwered the phone right away, helped me and said they'd remove the dispute comments.   Gave me a case number and an 800 number to check status.

One hour later, the comments were gone from report!

So, all three CRAs updated the reports within hours of calling to remove the dispute comments.

My scores did NOT go down.  They remained the same.  This is likely as the dispute comments were on closed auto loans, paid in full for years now.   Just FYI in case others are n the same position:  removing dispute comments from accounts paid as agreed doesn't seem to affect scores.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great thanks!!! We are about to make the calls Friday afternoon and apply for a loan on the 11th! Last I called I got someone from India for transunion as well. It was terrible. Now I know to ask for someone in the US!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

what number did you use for Equifax?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax- 404-885-8300

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay thanks. Did they tell you up to 72 hours?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I recall correctly, TU and Experian told me 24-72 hours, and it was done within hours (as in 1-2).

Equifax was done in less than a day, though I don't recall the timeframe they gave me.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I check this am and they were gone!!!
Message 8 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

you have to be a bulldog sometimes.

dont be afraid to hang up and call back if the first person wont help you

Retired Lender
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.