Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute comment removal effect

tag
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Dispute comment removal effect

Recently my Equifax scores jumed from 642 to 660, as 2 of my 7 year old collection accounts changed status from 'Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Collection account' to 'Consumer disputes this account information
Paid collection'. Now my median score is 660 and lender asked me to remove these dispute comments before they can issue me the pre approval. Do you think when the dispute comments will be removed I will lose those 18 points those increased before? 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
los_west
Regular Contributor

Re: Dispute comment removal effect

My experience is that the removal of dispute comments dropped my score 14 points on EQ and 17 points on TU.

Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 2 of 10
Jamisonke
New Contributor

I had a single dispute the underwriter wanted removed from my reports as a condition to close. I had the dispute comment removed from my reports and it had no effect on my score at all. YMMV.
--------------------------------
Current FICO scores: EQ 762, EX 761, TU 773
Message 3 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I also have only 2 disputes on 2 very old accounts (scheduled to drop off in September this year). When the disputes were removed from Experian, it had no affect. Hoping there will no or very less effect on Equifax too. My lender said my scores good enough to qualify for conventional. Fingers crossed. 

Message 4 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

I am in the same boat. I just had the comment "account in dispute" removed from an account that had one "late 30". I have a feeling that my scores will go down because of the late 30 remaining on the report. I'm hoping that wont be the case though.

Message 5 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I guess it all depends on how old the accounts are. My comments are all removed now and i didnt lose any points.

Message 6 of 10
ladyvwj
New Contributor

@sghosh5 wrote:

I guess it all depends on how old the accounts are. My comments are all removed now and i didnt lose any points.

hmmm... Smiley Sad September 2013... so fairly new.

Message 7 of 10
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Ouch...thats too new for a late or bad account. In my case the comments were on two 7 years old collections, which are supposed to drop this year.

Message 8 of 10
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

I lost 6 points on EQ when I had a dispute removed earlier this week. I hadn't really even disputed it - I just asked for DV and the CA marked it as disputed!

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 9 of 10
baygirl
Valued Member

just asked Equifax for the removal of two old disputes.  While it dropped my score 4 points for each deletion; I am happier to see my report is getting cleaner.   Now I am

doing a bit of gardening and good willing the last of my baddies; hoping for early deletion of those too!

Starting Score: 571 June 2013
Current Score: Equifax 747 | TU 754 | Experian 766 | AAoA 25 years | updated March 16, 2015
Goal Score: 760 | Gardening since July 2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.