Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed account?

Hi there, I'm a noob in this forum, so forgive me if I posted on the wrong board. My wife and I recently just started researching mortgage loans since we're looking to buy a house. I learned from a blog that you can no longer have a disputed account on your credit report and get approved for a mortgage. I lived most of my life overseas so I never checked my credit until I came back to the states when I was 24. When I checked my credit the first time two years ago I found that I have a collection for comcast in 2007 for the amount of $30. But I just came back to the states in 2009. So naturally I disputed this account to EQ TU and EX, saying I have no knowledge of it. When I saw that you cannot have disputed account when applying for mortgage, I panicked and pulled my EQ report from this site. I cannot find the account anywhere in the report, it's as if it never existed. So my question is.......is this account disputed or simply removed? If it is disputed, is there anything I can do right now to keep the mortgage from being denied? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Disputed account?

You should have received notification of the results of your dispute after you submitted it.  In any event, I'm assuming that you know that it was on all three credit reports previously, i.e., you had pulled all three reports, seen it on there, and disputed it with all three.  If that is the case, it would appear that it has been removed from at least EQ.  There's no issue there. 

You need to check TU and EX as well.  They don't all necessarily resolve the dispute the same way.  If the dispute is resolved against you, sometimes there is an Account In Dispute remark in the comments section.  It will say something like "Consumer disputes account information; meets FCRA guidelines" or something similar.  If that is the case, you'll need to get that remark removed, or better yet, get the collection removed.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
golo
Frequent Contributor

Hey Walt,isn't that remark on the comments section means that the dispute is resolved? Will that still be a problem when applying for a mortgage? 

Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@golo wrote:

Hey Walt,isn't that remark on the comments section means that the dispute is resolved? Will that still be a problem when applying for a mortgage? 

It is apparently still a problem.  I don't know why.  Could be that underwriters fail to appreciate the difference, or there could be some reason I am not aware of where they have a problem merely with the remark.  But lots of people report having to have these remarks removed as a condition of approval.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 4 of 5
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

i have (1) consumer disputes account info remark on my reports from 1st resolution collection. they appear in my creditor accts as well as collection accts (don't know how they did that) i thought this would be a problem for me.they would not remove the remark and i tried sooo many times to get them to do so. i believe the one thing that has helped me is the fact that i included this collection in my bk. the lender has seen the remarks from their credit pulls (all 3 reports) but i have not had to do anything concerning it in my conditional approval.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.