Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes on Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes on Credit Report

I am currently working on getting disputes off my credit report. I have noticed that when the accounts I am disputing are in active dispute (reinvestigation in progress) my credit goes down. When the account is listed as “Consumer disputes this item” my credit will go up. The accounts I have been disputing are 120 day lates that I have been up to date on since 2008.

My question to you all is why is my credit score going down when the dispute is active? My theory is that the up to date payments are no longer working in my favor as they are not calculated into my score during an active dispute. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputes on Credit Report

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently working on getting disputes off my credit report. I have noticed that when the accounts I am disputing are in active dispute (reinvestigation in progress) my credit goes down. When the account is listed as “Consumer disputes this item” my credit will go up. The accounts I have been disputing are 120 day lates that I have been up to date on since 2008.

My question to you all is why is my credit score going down when the dispute is active? My theory is that the up to date payments are no longer working in my favor as they are not calculated into my score during an active dispute. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Disputes are legendary for doing wonky things with scores.  Been many reports of disputes dropping their scores, and many helping their scores too.

Doesn't necessarily discount the entire tradeline, sometimes only part as others have reported so it's difficult to suggest what precise impact it's having in your case.  Just get through it and see where you wind up is really all you can do.

        
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just removed most of the disputes today, I guess I will see soon how it will affect my credit score. I guess a question I have is will a 90+ day late payment that has been up to date since 2008 have a big impact on my credit score?

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just removed most of the disputes today, I guess I will see soon how it will affect my credit score. I guess a question I have is will a 90+ day late payment that has been up to date since 2008 have a big impact on my credit score?

90+ days late is a serious derog and on the FICO 04/98 that mortgages underwrite on that's a problem scorewise though everything is better with time, but 2008?  Should be near to it's Date of First Deliquency + 7 years, and if that line is still active, I'd be writing Goodwill letters for all it's worth and if it's already obsolete, dispute is absolutely legit for that.

Do you know any of your mortgage scores already?  Equifax Scorepower is Beacon 5.0 if you need an accurate benchmark for the overwhelming number of mortgages.

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we had our score pulled by our lender and my mid score was 725.

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, we had our score pulled by our lender and my mid score was 725.

Not much impact then, 725 is top tierfor some lenders when I was browsing recently.

        
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats the score before i removed the disputes, hopefully its not affected once the dispute are off. I have notices when it is active dispute my score goes dow.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score went up 7 points when the disputes comments were removed!Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit score went up 7 points when the disputes comments were removed!Smiley Happy

Nice!

Better than my FICO surprise today: was being so good with my balances and then an AF that I hadn't accounted for landed on my Amex statement... and of course it was last charge on that statement right when it cut rather than first charge of next statement.  

Grumble, always something!  Ah well wouldn't be applying till March anyway so I have time to fix that.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.