Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes

I disputed two accounts with the dept of education.  Almost immediately myfico.com reported that they were updated but with a notation that they were "redisputed".  My score went up significantly but the notation does not say 'resolved'.  Has anyone had any experience with this before?  Is there ever a case where this disputed changes back.  I find it odd that it was updated so quickly.  It is the only thing that is stopping me from closing.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputes

@Anonymous wrote:

I disputed two accounts with the dept of education.  Almost immediately myfico.com reported that they were updated but with a notation that they were "redisputed".  My score went up significantly but the notation does not say 'resolved'.  Has anyone had any experience with this before?  Is there ever a case where this disputed changes back.  I find it odd that it was updated so quickly.  It is the only thing that is stopping me from closing.

Does it say "dispute - reinvestigation in progress" or something like that? It's just a SW alert saying the accounts were disputed. Under a dispute certain aspects of OC accounts are removed from FICO scoring which include the balance, the CL, and payment history. If there were baddies, then a dispute would lead FICO to ignore it and that can cause your EQ FICO to increase (TU and EX too if they updated as well). 

SW alerts are a snapshot of your EQ FICO along with a possible reason as to why your EQ FICO changed. However, that score change may not necessarily be the result of that specific reason. For example, I once got a SW alert for +20 because I added an inquiry. Adding inquries don't increase your score but it was a baddie dropping that SW doesn't alert to that led to the FICO increase. While it's certainly possible you lost points due to the dispute alone, just consider that there may or may not be outside reasons that led to the score change.

It's possible that your score increased if the disputed SLs had lates reporting. FICO would ignore them during a dispute and that would cause an increase if the lates were hurting. Once the dispute clears and the lates are verified, then FICO would return to where it was before. If the TL updates with added lates or if the reported date hadn't updated in a long while, then you could see a further decrease. If the account gets deleted, then you could have a decrease or increase depending on the age. Of course all of this is assuming that nothing else is playing into the change like missing TLs, added TLs, changes in util, etc.

Message 2 of 3
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

Re: Disputes

Llecs great points.. When I first started cleaning up my reports I had a baddie removed and my score dropped. Could not understand why until I read about AAoA. Very old baddies don't hurt that much and sometimes help you because they help your AAoA,
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.