Established Member
islefan39

Disputing when applying for a mortgage

[ Edited ]

Hi islefan39,

I took the liberty of correcting a word in your title and I am moving this to Mortgage Loans since your main concern seems to be a future mortgage.

MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

I was wondering if someone on here could help and clear something up for me. I was reading a few things and came across something that I was not sure of. If items in report are in dispute when applying for a mortgage does that it look worse to the lender? I am not in the process of applying now, but will be in about a year, year and a half or so. If this does have a negative impact how long before I do apply should I hold off on disputing anything in my report? Thank you

Established Contributor
casmith1980

Re: Disputing when applying for a message

Why not dispute now?  Typical disputes take 30-45 days, so you have plenty of time.

What types of things are you disputing?  You have to be careful so your report doesn't get a "fraud alert" placed on it..

EQ Fico 2009 500's
TU Fico 2009 500's

EQ Fico 04/10/2012 663 (SW alert)
TU Fico 04/13/2012 653 (Walmart)

Goal: 760 by 12/2013 and close on my first house :smileyvery-happy:

Goal - 720 by 12/31/12
Lel

Re: Disputing when applying for a mortgage

Generally speaking, lenders/underwriters don't like to see active disputes on one's credit report when going through the pre-approval and approval process.  Disputing can result in artificially higher scores, though in some cases it can actually result in a lower score.

Like casmith already mentioned, since you're not planning on obtaining a mortgage in the immediate future, now is a good time to address legitimate errors on your credit report.

New Contributor
pengy_wi

How long will comments stay on that the info was disputed? There were some items that we disputed on my husband's (to change how it was reported, not the actual balances since they were already paid collection accounts) and we will be applying for a mortgage in June or July.

Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

pengy_wi wrote:

How long will comments stay on that the info was disputed? There were some items that we disputed on my husband's (to change how it was reported, not the actual balances since they were already paid collection accounts) and we will be applying for a mortgage in June or July.

YYMV, but from my understanding, and what I had to deal with, is any accounts that have a balance cannot have a dispute tag. If the account is paid, the UW will ignore it.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 05/12: TU: 722 | EQ: 712 | EX: 686
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Still Working On: Illinois Paid Tax Lien,
Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $3900, Citi/Home Depot $2000, Capital One Cash Rewards $1500, Capital One Secured $500, Credit One Bank $500. Total Utilization: 6%. AAoA: 1yr, 7mth. INQS: 8 TU, 8 EQ, 4 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+