Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divorce and VA loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Divorce and VA loan

I am going through a divorce and my current where I live with my 3 children was purchased using a VA loan.  As part of the divorce, I have to refinance within 2 years so that my soon-to-be-ex gets his VA loan rights back.  Has anyone here had experience with this? I have always worked and have a decent salary, but my credit is only good, not very good or great. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Re: Divorce and VA loan

If you have 2 years, I would use that time to work on your credit! I have no experience personally, but my wife's ex was supposed to refinance their HELOC and never did...so she's contemplating suing him as this was court ordered.  There are no VA issues there though. 

What are your credit scores like?

Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

What are the scores?

What is payoff?

What do you think it might appraise for?

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
andycloses

You may want to have a lender or two price refinance costs and payments for you sooner rather than later. Ask them (the lenders you shop) to work numbers for a conventional refinance first, and if your scores aren't high enough, have the lender work numbers for an FHA refinance. They should also run your file through the automated underwriting system(s) too in the near future (usually Desktop Underwriter -DU- is used for Conventional and FHA Scorecard for FHA loan scenarios).

You may not want to put the refi off until 2015 (or even to 2014 for that matter) because rates may be significantly higher in a year or two (both interest rates and mortgage insurance rates), qualifying guidelines may become more restrictive and doing it this year would give you one less thing to worry about doing in the future. FHA does require monthly mortgage insurance, but if you have the lender assign an FHA case number before June 2013, it will eventually go away (after between 5 and 9 years).

Good Luck - Andy: Modcut

Contact information is not allowed in the forums.

Thank you, Shogun, myFICO moderator

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.