cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have a chance at FHA automatic underwriting approval?

tag
Lemmus
Established Contributor

Re: Do I have a chance at FHA automatic underwriting approval?

...agray0706 ...I was actually looking for a reply from the prior poster 

...its a crazy mortgage world ...you probably could have easily qualified for a no-credit-check streamline refinance on the house you sold ...nutz!

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 11 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW, I am going through the process of an FHA Loan right now. My mid score was 616, I have 3.5% down & 3 months PITI in cash reserves. I had a 30 day late in Oct 2014 on a Credit One account and a 30 Day late in Nov 2014 on a First Premier card for the monthly fee (I thought the card was closed). I was approved by DU as approved/eligible. got 3.75% interest rate. Last week the loan was finally assigned a loan processor (after a long wait for the appraisal report) and I should be headed to underwriting this week.

My understanding is that the 12 months of no lates on credit cards / installment loans is a lender overlay. That FHA only requires no lates on mortgages or federal loans (someone please correct me if that's wrong). Obviously YMMV but the best of luck to you! There ARE lenders who will finance you with lates with a letter of explaniation.

Message 12 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and congrats martin! Hopefully mine will fit within the overlay guidelines. May I ask who your lender is?
Message 13 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Huntington National Bank

One more bit of info my Front End DTI is 16% Back End DTI (with new Mortgage) 24%

Message 14 of 51
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

FWIW, I am going through the process of an FHA Loan right now. My mid score was 616, I have 3.5% down & 3 months PITI in cash reserves. I had a 30 day late in Oct 2014 on a Credit One account and a 30 Day late in Nov 2014 on a First Premier card for the monthly fee (I thought the card was closed). I was approved by DU as approved/eligible. got 3.75% interest rate. Last week the loan was finally assigned a loan processor (after a long wait for the appraisal report) and I should be headed to underwriting this week.

My understanding is that the 12 months of no lates on credit cards / installment loans is a lender overlay. That FHA only requires no lates on mortgages or federal loans (someone please correct me if that's wrong). Obviously YMMV but the best of luck to you! There ARE lenders who will finance you with lates with a letter of explaniation.

...that is wrong ...read the OPs post ...multiple installation loan lates as recently as March 2015

FHA Single Family Housing Policy
Handbook, issued on March 18, 2015

Handbook 4000.1 204

II. ORIGINATION THROUGH POST-CLOSING/ENDORSEMENT
A. Title II Insured Housing Programs Forward Mortgages
5. Manual Underwriting of the Borrower
a. General Requirements
iii. Evaliuating Credit History (Manual)
(1) Satisfactory Credit
The underwriter may consider a Borrower to have an acceptable payment history
if the Borrower has made all housing and installment debt payments on time for
the previous 12 months and has no more than two 30-Day late Mortgage
Payments or installment payments in the previous 24 months.
The underwriter may approve the Borrower with an acceptable payment history if
the Borrower has no major derogatory credit on revolving accounts in the
previous 12 months.
Major derogatory credit on revolving accounts must include any payments made
more than 90 Days after the due date, or three or more payments more than 60
Days after the due date.
(2) Payment History Requiring Additional Analysis
If a Borrower’s credit history does not reflect satisfactory credit as stated above,
the Borrower’s payment history requires additional analysis.
The Mortgagee must analyze the Borrower’s delinquent accounts to determine
whether late payments were based on a disregard for financial obligations, an
inability to manage debt, or extenuating circumstances. The Mortgagee must
document this analysis in the mortgage file. Any explanation or documentation of
delinquent accounts must be consistent with other information in the file.
The underwriter may only approve a Borrower with a credit history not meeting
the satisfactory credit history above if the underwriter has documented the
delinquency was related to extenuating circumstances.

...sorry op

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Message 15 of 51
CreditSeductress
Established Member

That Handbook won't go into effect until Sept 14, 2015. Glad you brought it up though, there are some changes that Mortgage Loan Originators need to know.

Extended Effective Date
On April 30, 2015, FHA announced that it has extended the effective date for the policies contained in the SF Handbook from June 15, 2015 to September 14, 2015. All existing Single Family Handbooks, Mortgagee Letters and other policy documents remain effective until superseded by specific sections, subsections, and/or appendices of the SF Handbook on its effective date.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/handbook_4000-1

Message 16 of 51
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...yes, but the cited sections are long standing and are not changing

Message 17 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lemmus thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was mortgage only didn't know installment loans were included. Would the desktop underwriter kick back the file with refer or refer/caution and have manual underwriting then look at it?
Message 18 of 51
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...I don't believe the op has any chance of making it through automated ...and the 3/15 auto loan lates w/o uw acceptable LOE will kill any manual approval for another 10 mts 

...that said, I'm just following the HUD guidelines ...shane/dallas/dpeezy are the mortgage loan pros here and may have a better answer ...just don't want to get the ops hopes up when I don't see a way around the problem he presented.

Message 19 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lemmus. Hopefully one of the loan pros you've mentioned can chime in. I have a great LOE however it's up to underwriter to whether or not they accept it.

Based on all the input I'm going to say at this point that either way it's a long shot. Potentially if LOE is accepted by u/w, I could still get approved with the 4 lates...it just wouldn't be automatic underwriting approved.
Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.