Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a real estate lawyer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need a real estate lawyer?

I have been conditionally approved for a guaranteed USDA loan. My wife is from Canada and says that using a real estate lawyer is standard practice when buying a house. This is my first house purchase - do I need a lawyer? I am in Ohio.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do I need a real estate lawyer?

No. 

Message 2 of 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Depends on the state I would ask your loan agent and see what they say

If there is a title company handling the transaction an attorney probably isnt needed

B

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update. My LO said that no lawyer was required. Thanks for the replies.
Message 4 of 7
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

In NJ, we needed a lawyer, and she did EVERYTHING!  - picked out title, sorted out deed stuff, survey, closing docs prep, HUD 1, everything.. she added 4-5 different "Riders" to our contract and negotiated with the sellers' atty

It was worth every penny knowing that a licenced attorney is reviewing ALL docs, signing off and making sure title is clear and deed is recorded the right way.

I know many states do not require one, but if you can budget them in, they'e well worth it.

Message 5 of 7
stpn2me
Frequent Contributor

negotiated with the sellers' atty

If the seller has an atty, why shouldnt you?

TU - 673 EQ - 672 EX - 669 as of 13 Nov 2015
Message 6 of 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

Everything varies by State in the US and of course varies even more in a different country.

Different procedures for different laws.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.