Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need attorney present at closing?

tag
sandrachicago
New Contributor

Do I need attorney present at closing?

I'm a first time buyer and my closing is scheduled this Friday the 6th so not much time left. I went with builder's lender, new townhome and whole process was straightforward so far. Tomorrow I will get final paperwork which I wanted to email to my attorney (which I'm going to look for today) Do I need to have him present at closing or just have him go over the paperwork is sufficient? There's not much time left so I'm worried I'm not going to find anyone available. Purchase is in state of Illinois.

"Enriching others will flow that same energy back to you."
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Do I need attorney present at closing?

Looking for an attorney to review closing papers two days before a closing makes no sense. Forget about the attorney and go it alone. The closing agent is likely the title company depending on what State you are and purchased property are in.

Message 2 of 5
sandrachicago
New Contributor

Yes, closing is scheduled at the title company.
Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

In my two plus years of being a sales counselor for a national builder, I have never seen a single closing [here in Florida] involve an attorney ... unless the attorney is the buyer.

Message 4 of 5
sandrachicago
New Contributor

So, you think it would be ok for us to show up without the attorney? I can still get the paperwork before the closing and go over it myself I guess. All contracts were provided by builder and are very straightforward. I'm just worried over fees and what if my real closing costs are much more then estimated like I read from some experiences..Please share some closing tips I never had one before.ThanksSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.