cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to file the 2014 taxes if I am closing in march?

tag
Martis
New Contributor

Do I need to file the 2014 taxes if I am closing in march?

I just completed my taxes on turbotax (I did not submit) and its looks like is first time when I own taxes.

I am looking to close on a house in March. Do I need the 2014, 2013 taxes or 2012 and 2013 will be enough? I dont want to pay the taxes before closing because my funds are very limited until then because of the downpayment and 3rd paty taxes. Or can I file the taxes but pay the taxes owned later?

Any input is appreciated! Thank You

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: Do I need to file the 2014 taxes if I am closing in march?

I just asked my LO this same question because we close on 4/2 and since we pay we usually wait til the last minute. They told me that if we were closing after 4/15...yes. Since we aren't...they don't need anything concerning the 2014 taxes.

We are using the 2012 and 2013 taxes.

Message 2 of 9
newstart2010
Blogger

they should not need you to pay the 2014 taxes till they are due.  but they will want to see the w-2s.  If you can take a closer look and see if there is anything else to deduct so you are not owing or have no problem paying what is owed i know our lender said they were happier knowing that the 2014 taxes were already filed and paid.  but it was not necessary.  

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 3 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

+1 on what said.  2014 tax returns won't be required until tax filing day.  If you are filing a tax extension, then that can be used instead of the 2014 tax returns up until the extension expires.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 9
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

But yes on the 2014 W2's. They wanted those as soon as we could get them.

Message 5 of 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

our lender said it was not necessary to file our taxes before we close.  in addition, they did not ask for 2014 W2's.  we are scheduled to close 3/19.  if they come back and ask for W2's, i have them ready to send. Smiley Happy

it is a good thing...now we can claim addiitonal deductions related to our rental property.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shane, this ties in with what I was asking on another thread about owing taxes & providing proof of ability to pay the installments. We're submitting our USDA Direct application this weekend & now I may just send in the old returns plus 1099 for 2014 instead of filing right away. You're a fountain of knowledge & I greatly appreciate your help.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timely thread.

My situation- Pre approved, home under construction, estimated completion April 2015.

-Completed our 2014 taxes.  Our income increased 12k dollars (W2 salary).  The downside we owe 2500 to the feds.  I can pay the 2500 but I'd have to rob from the downpayment to do so, and I'm cutting it close WITH the 2500 in the pot.  

-Can they use our 2014 income for DTI without the file submitted to the IRS?  We're good with the 2013 income, but the 2014 makes things look better.

-Am I better off to just let things sit unless they ask for 2014 taxes?

Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Timely thread.

My situation- Pre approved, home under construction, estimated completion April 2015.

-Completed our 2014 taxes.  Our income increased 12k dollars (W2 salary).  The downside we owe 2500 to the feds.  I can pay the 2500 but I'd have to rob from the downpayment to do so, and I'm cutting it close WITH the 2500 in the pot.  

-Can they use our 2014 income for DTI without the file submitted to the IRS?  We're good with the 2013 income, but the 2014 makes things look better.

-Am I better off to just let things sit unless they ask for 2014 taxes?

2014 tax returns are only needed at this point if you are looking to use self-employment income or rental income received in 2014.  If not, and if it's wages, then that income is verified through W-2's, paystubs & written employment verifications.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.