Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify? If so, how much?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I qualify? If so, how much?

Hello myfico. Long time lurker, first time poster. I want to stop renting and build equity. It will be my first house, I plan to live there for a bit and then rent it out. Rinse and repeat. Any input is great.

My first question is do I qualify? If so, how much? Then, does anyone know any lenders in my area that does not require to payoff old charge offs? They are set to fall off soon. I admit my fault, but I think its better financially for me to not pay.

1. Credit - I have 3 charged off accounts with balances with about $6000 in total. A ~$500 medical collection account. A few other negatives that are paid off. They are very old and are set to fall off in 2015.  I do have 4 credit cards showing paid as agreed & and auto loan also great payment history. My score is about 670.

2. Income - I make about 35-40K depending on the year.

3.  Source - Employed, hourly plus commission.

4. Monthly debt payments - $500 without rent. This is car payment plus min payments on credit cards.

5.  Employment - I'm W2 and have been same employer 4 years

6. Asset Reserves - I have a 401k I'm considering using as my downpayment. Its about 20K, vested, and able to take loan if needed.

7. Location - Harris County, Houston, Texas

8. Property type - Condo/townhouse/single family home *whichever is in a price I can afford

9. Value - This is one I want help to determine how much I can afford given everything else is okay. I want to down about 5%.

10. Occupancy - Primary residence.

11. Transaction Type - Purchase

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Do I qualify? If so, how much?

With 5% down, conventional financing, and $40k/year of income, you would probably be looking at about a $100-105k max sales price for a house.  For FHA you'd probably be looking at about $140k max.  Condos would be a lower price point, because they have a monthly HOA fee that needs to be paid.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

With 5% down, conventional financing, and $40k/year of income, you would probably be looking at about a $100-105k max sales price for a house.  For FHA you'd probably be looking at about $140k max.  Condos would be a lower price point, because they have a monthly HOA fee that needs to be paid.

How does FHA allow you to budget 40K more?

Message 3 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It permits higher debt to income ratios to qualify than conventional does.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It permits higher debt to income ratios to qualify than conventional does.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.