cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for a VA loan

tag
Mariet

Do I qualify for a VA loan

Hi Everyone. I need some really good advice on where to start my VA mortgage loan process.   My credit is horrible, probably mid 500's. I have a recent judgment for CC. Two CC's maxed out and a revolving auto loan for $850. The only good thing is my salary is 120,000. I'm currently renting a house but the landlord wants us to move out so he can sell the place. I have less than four months to find somewhere else to live. It's hard to find many rentals in my area, so I'm considering buying but I don't know if anyone would lend to me. I'm eligible for a VA loan, but I won't bother calling a traditional bank or CU. Who would be the best person to call about my options?  Thanks so much. I have three kids and want to keep them in the same school district so I think buying would be my best option. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Mariet

Re: Do I qualify for a VA loan

Anyone?  I really need advice. 

Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Do I qualify for a VA loan

How recent is the judgment?  Is it paid?

With such a good salary, why are your credit cards maxed out?  I suspect the maxed out cards are really hurting your scores, and paying them down/off will get you an immediate credit score boost.

FYI, auto loans are almost always reported as installment loans, not revolving accounts.  Not that it's important, but just thought you may want to get your terminology correct.

VA is generally looking for clean credit for the past 12 months.  An isolated minor blemish can be acceptable, but if there is a repeated pattern of late payments, collections, judgments, etc. and you also have negatives in the past 12 months then chances won't be great you'll get approved until you have those 12 months of clean credit.  Most VA lenders are looking for 620 scores, with some going down to a 580 and a few lower than that.  Just having a qualifying credit score isn't always enough though.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.