cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for a mortgage?

tag
Bullitt719

Do I qualify for a mortgage?

Hello everyone; I'm a first time poster to myFICO but I have been scanning the forums for a while now.  I've noticed we have some very knowledgeable people who populate these boards and so I wanted to see what you all thought about my situation.  My situation includes a couple soft curveballs that I haven't been able to find advice on yet and frankly don't know how a lender will see it.  So here's some info on me and my girlfriend:

1. CreditStarting with me, my credit score is currently EX630 EQ630 TU730.  Up until a month ago, they were all around 730 and absolutely clean.  Now I have a $50 medical collection reporting as paid.  The debt itself is from 2011.  I have been renting since 8/11 and I have never missed a payment.  My G/F scores are all about 715-730.  The only "blemish" she might have is a creditcard from a previous relationship that she is an AU on.  Other than that, no missed payments by either of us.  
  2. Income. Here is where it possibly doesn't look so great.  We both moved to a new city in 8/12 so that I could go to school.  We both now have part-time, near minimum wage jobs.  I make around 8k annually before tips, and about 12k afterwards.  I'm in school full-time, and I usually have about 3.5k left in student loans after school is paid for.  She makes around 14k a year.  This is all before taxes btw.
  3. Source of income. I sort of answered this above.  Me: 8k hourly wage, 4k tips, 3.5k Student loans (is this considered income or debt?).  Her: 14k hourly wage.  This is all before taxes. 
  4. Monthly debt payments.  I have an auto loan for 167 a month that will be paid off in 4 months, and every now and then I let one of my creditcards report a small balance so maybe add an additional $25 for that minimum payment.  She has an auto for about 110 a month that will be paid off in about 4 years, and she reports a little on here credit card every now and then so and additional 25 minimum.  Altogether: 327 a month for the both of us.  Again my student loans aren't requesting payment and won't be for 2 1/2 years.  How is this viewed?
  5. Employment I work part-time in a customer service position.  I've worked there since 8/12 and I've never worked customer service before.  I've been working for 6 years now and I have never been fired and I've always had a job.  I used to work in construction a lot.  She has a part-time job in retail since 8/12.  She has worked retail for most of her work life.  She has been working for 7 years and has had some recent spotty employment due to medical reasons, but that is over with now.  
  6. Assets/Reserves.  I have about 2.5k (can I also include my car?).  She has about 3.5k. So together, not inlcuding my car, we have 6k
  7. Location.  Missouri. 
  8. Property.  We are looking at single-family houses with small lots and in living condition to be used as a permanent residence at least for 2 years.  My degree could have me moving once I graduate, and so we would like to either rent it or sell it around the 2-3 year mark. 
  9. Value.  Around 40k - 70k.  40k would be the minimum I'd feel comfortable moving into and 70k is getting close to rental money so anything past that might not be worth the trouble.
  10. Occupancy.  Primary Residence
  11. Transaction Type.  Purchase

As a side note, I'm thinking of going with a blended mortgage based on our situation; maybe a 5/1.  Are these types of loans only conventional.  I've also tossed around the idea of going no money down.  I'm also leaning towards FHA (fixed 30).  I know I just contradicted myself, but I don't know enough about the "no cost" loans or the "blended" loans.  I'm also very open to any suggestions, which is why I came to you Smiley Happy 

If there are any questions that will help, please ask.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Re: Do I qualify for a mortgage?

First thing I would do is try to get the medical collection removed. If it is paid in full I would start sending GW letters the the collection agency.

Where did you get your scores from?

Do you have proof that you make 4k in tips? You are going to have to be able to show on paper that you make that in tips. Such as a print out from work.

You never said what her credit score was. If you are going in this together then you will need both of your scores.

What is your DTI and hers? There are online calculators that will give you an idea.

I am no expert but the short employment history and part time may be a problem.

Besides your wages what were your last two years of gross income on your W2's? Lenders will request that.

Message 2 of 10
Bullitt719

-I'm in the process of removing it via the HIPAA process and then possibly good will letters to the original collector if for some reason the HIPAA process doesnt work.  This was just reported mid last month, and kind of screwed a lot of things up.

-I got my scores from annualcreditreport.com also I get free score updates for experian through my bank and I am a member of Credit Karma which is based on Trans Union reports.  Also I thought I put a little on her scores in there.  Shes not her at the moment so I dont have 100% accuracy on her scores but I know they're close.  Her average is about 715 - 730.

- I can not prove the 4k in tips other than bank statements.  Which I know aren't enough but the bank statements do show income from some source be it unknown or not.  I guess I should just assume that this income will most likely not be used and if it is it won't hold much merit.

- I thought the short employment would be a red flag aswell.  Do they ever contact your current employer and ask questions to get a feel of where our employment is going or how well we are doing?  For example:  The same way a new employer would if you had applied for a position with them.

-As far our last 2 years of gross income, I can only vouch for myself.  I made about 12k last year and 19k the year before that.  Her AGI the last 2 years were much lower.

Message 3 of 10
Bullitt719

Oh and my DTI is 18%

Monthly Recurring Debt: 327

Monthly Recurring income: 1833 (based on my 8k in wages and her 14k in wages all divided by 12 months)

Message 4 of 10
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

As for the mortgage specific questions you will have to wait till one of the actual loan guys from here chimes in or someone else with more knowledge than I.

Your scores you have sadly do not mean much of anything. They are all FAKO scores and lenders will not be using those scores. They can range +/- 100 points and up in difference than your actual FICO score.

The TU98 score you get from here most likely will not be the same as a lenders. Most will use TU04.

The EQ 5.0 score you can buy from here will match what your lender will pull.

The EX score you can only get from lenders or a few credit unions. 'However that will soon change and myfico will be offering the EX Fico again from what I read"

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 6 of 10
Bullitt719

I've heard only a little about these scores not being accurate, but I didn't know they were that inaccurate.  You're saying that they are pratically useless; I didn't know this.  So how do I get my hands on the real scores If I can...? 

Thanks for the help everyone

Message 7 of 10
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

You can buy one from this very website. Buy the Equifax report. It will be the same score as you would get from a lender. You can buy it for a one time price or sign up for the Scrore Watch.  If you have a promo code you can get one report for $15.95 otherwise it will be $20. I could PM you a promo code that worked for me yesterday.

Message 8 of 10
Bullitt719

Yes please do, I would appreciate that.

On another note it would be nice to know more about the different types of loans I mentioned and whether or not I'm a candidate for them.  Also what my likelihood of getting accepted at a low interest rate for the amount I would like, if I went ahead and got pre-approved WITH the paid  $50 collection still on my report and a receipt to prove its paid in full.

Message 9 of 10
HouseBuyerGuy
Established Member

I think you would have a very hard time qualifying. With a combined income of 21K (probably less as most people get deduction happy at tax time) that's only $1750/month. Even if those incomes and your employment were accepted as is (big if) your 43% DTI is only $750/month. Take away your current debts, and that leaves you with just about $400 for the new mortgage, insurance, mortgage insurance, and taxes. This would probably mean you would be at best in the 40-50K range for a property.

Given everything you said, I would consider NOT getting a mortgage.

If this is not your forever house (you said maybe just stay 1-2 years and then you will probably move) I don't know why you would go through the hassle. Would you really want to be a long-distance landlord? Keep in mind, if you move and want to buy another house, you will not be able to use any income for renting for two years, but the mortgage will go against your debt limits. Now, the house you are looking at is relatively cheap, but that is still a $300-500 debt added to your DTI. Throw in a car and student loans and your future purchasing options slim out.

It's not the worst thing in the world to rent until you are financially ready to buy. Save up for the next two years, try to get out of college as debt free as possible.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 726
Goal Score: 760

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.