Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Get The Keys At Closing?

tag
Lemontwist4
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do You Get The Keys At Closing?

Boldi if you remember it took several days after close for me to get the keys as we waited on title transfer and loan funding so I would think monday or tuesday is when you should get them
Sent to USDA on August 14th 2013 Approved September 5th CLOSED September 9th!!!!!
Message 11 of 20
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Bolilocks, which state are you purchasing in?

Naturally, Dallas is right for wet states (BTW, I always heard the term "table funding states" - same thing though Smiley Happy)

But those states that are escrow type states sign off on the doc's then the deed and mortgage is recorded and you don't get the keys for a couple of days until the deed is recorded. So say you close on a Friday, you wouldn't get the keys until maybe Tuesday. I know California, AZ and some other states work this way. That's why I asked where you are buying your new home.

If you are in a wet state/table funding state, usually it only takes about 1/2 hr or so and a good title company sends over the signed docs the lender needs to review while the buyer is signing off on what I call the 'junk paperwork'.  That's is all the other docs in the loan package besides the important ones. The important docs are the note, the mortgage, the HUD1 and the TIL (IMO). Some title companies and/or closing attorney's offices are not quite so organized and it takes a couple of hours. Closing at the end of business on a Friday is a difficult time to get this done timely though. You might want to rethink your closing time.

We're in NY.

We got the clear to close last Friday morning - and the closing is not until this Friday because it was the ONLY time in the entire week the bank lawyer, the seller's lawyer and our lawyer could get together.  We can't change it.  Plus we have to give the keys back to our landlord Sunday.

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 12 of 20
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

@Lemontwist4 wrote:
Boldi if you remember it took several days after close for me to get the keys as we waited on title transfer and loan funding so I would think monday or tuesday is when you should get them

I'm so bloomin' panicking now! 

All the utilities have been changed over, the movers have been booked and non-refundable deposit paid, all school info and bussing changed, they already took our garbage can and are leaving one at the new place, mail is redirected from tomorrow, new bed being delivered Saturday.  I've even sold my washer, dryer, stove and fridge.  Smiley Sad

The seller has the keys and has been out since Sept 1st - I'm hoping he'll just let us have them.

Message 13 of 20
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

The LO just emailed me and said we get the keys at closing.  Right then.  What can I stress about next...?

Message 14 of 20
sunnysideup
Established Member

That would make me panic too!  It should have been discussed in negotiations how that would take place.  Have you tried to talk to any of the lawyers or whoever is handling the financing to determine when the keys will be given to you?  With our loan, through the USDA, they told us that the keys would not be given until they verified the funding had changed hands which could take a few days.  I would try to find out before you drive yourself crazy! 

Edited:  Looks like we were posting at the same time!  Glad that you will get your keys at closing!!

Message 15 of 20
Amythyst
Contributor

Hmm, that's interesting.  I got my keys right at the closing table.  And I know the loan wasn't funded until the following week after the deed was recorded.  We closed on a Friday morning before a Monday holiday and they gave us the keys at the table and told us the deed wouldn't get recorded till the following Tuesday.  I just assumed everyone got their keys at the table.

I guess the thing they were most surprised about was we were not waiting to move into the house.  Everyone was so interested in why we weren't moving in the day we closed... we closed on 8/30 and didn't move in until 9/21. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 20
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Amythyst wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting.  I got my keys right at the closing table.  And I know the loan wasn't funded until the following week after the deed was recorded.  We closed on a Friday morning before a Monday holiday and they gave us the keys at the table and told us the deed wouldn't get recorded till the following Tuesday.  I just assumed everyone got their keys at the table.

I guess the thing they were most surprised about was we were not waiting to move into the house.  Everyone was so interested in why we weren't moving in the day we closed... we closed on 8/30 and didn't move in until 9/21. Smiley Happy

Amythyst

That's the difference between table funding states ("wet" states) and escrow type states.

When you close in a table funding state, you get the keys at closing and can move right in immediately. NY, where the OP is from, is a table funding state.

I think on here we forget sometimes that there are two methods for closing and if the post doesn't specify the state then the confusion arises. Some of the people on this thread are from escrow states and that's why they had to wait to get their keys. Their closing process is different because they sign the paperwork, then the deed and mortgage are recorded then they get the keys. Fortunately for the OP, she is in a table funding state! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Amythyst wrote:

Amythyst

That's the difference between table funding states ("wet" states) and escrow type states.

When you close in a table funding state, you get the keys at closing and can move right in immediately. NY, where the OP is from, is a table funding state.

I think on here we forget sometimes that there are two methods for closing and if the post doesn't specify the state then the confusion arises. Some of the people on this thread are from escrow states and that's why they had to wait to get their keys. Their closing process is different because they sign the paperwork, then the deed and mortgage are recorded then they get the keys. Fortunately for the OP, she is in a table funding state! Smiley Happy

I didn't forget, I just didn't know, LOL!  Thanks for explaining it - there's always something to learn on here!  It never occured to me that there wasn't a single way of doing it.

Message 18 of 20
foofighter74
Established Contributor

I live in upstate NY.  Our closing was at 1 pm...we were given our keys before we even finished signing paperwork.  Lender's lawyer just confirmed with the builder's attorney that they had received the wire and that was that.  We were done at 2. 

I don't think i'd buy a house anywhere where i had to sign a bunch of legal documents but not get keys right away.  That would just p#ss me off. lol

Message 19 of 20
Amythyst
Contributor

Thanks StartingOver, I actually did not know that either. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.