Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you mind sharing your FHA BTW story?

tag
dreamer2014
Regular Contributor

Do you mind sharing your FHA BTW story?

We have been rebuilding and now we are in the waiting game to app in June. In the meantime, I would love to hear your success story of the FHA BTW pgm and the not-so successful at a point? What made it not successful? What made it successful?

We need to do FHA BTW due to 2013 short sale. Our economic event was job loss for both DH and myself. We have since recovered. Please share.

Myfico: 03/26/2015: EQ 652, EX 680, TU 738 Barclays

Barclays $4.7K, NFCU Platinum $15K, AMEX BCE $15k, HD $12k, Sams $3.5k, Walmart MC $3.5K, NFCU LOC 10K, GE local Furn store $3.5k, AMEX ED $10.5K
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
yepbob
New Contributor

Re: Do you mind sharing your FHA BTW story?

Hi there - We had been waiting to do the BTW story since last year when it was announced.  I called various lenders starting in September/October 2013 and no one in my area was very familar and they were not doing (Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois).  Our 12 months from discharge wouldn't arrive until January 2014 so we had time to wait - we were just trying to get prepared to see what would be required for the program.

Finally in December we got the name of a company who was doing the program in our area so we reached out to them and she confirmed that they were doing so to call them in January.  I mainly had to educate them a lot on the program from what I found online and with the FHA guidelines - for example they didn't realize that I had to wait 30 days after taking the counseling class.  We took the class on February 7th and then approached them to apply on March 7th, 2014.

SO far -  this has been the longest process of my LIFE.  We asked them to underwrite a TBD address so we wouldn't have an offer out and then be denied later.  Our original credit pull was on 3/13 and they asked us to remove some dispute comments and then some of our balances were not reporting as zero yet on accounts.  Once we did that and things were reporting correctly they repulled on 4/1/2014 and submitted our application.  Both my husband and I had middle scores of above 640 - my husband was only 642 but still made the hurdle.  Our file went to the processor on 4/5 and on 4/8 it went to underwriting.  It was supposed to take 10 business days for underwriting to review and render a decision. 

It took WAY longer and the original underwriter denied us because we had too many new/open accounts in the past 12 months.  Most of those were originally opened in February/March and July 2013 and had zero balances.  NFCU did grant us a LOC 12/31/2013 which was the last thing we got.  Our loan officer felt like that was not a good response so they sent us to the level 2 underwriter for review.  Not sure who finally approved it - but last week we were told our file was APPROVED and that was on 5/15/2014. 

We are now waiting on our conditional approval letter - which I am expecting to take a few more days since our loan officer is out this week.  On Saturday she called and said all they needed was 12 months of cancelled rent checks in order to issue the preapproval letter.  I sent those over on Saturday.  She said so far there is no other requests other VOE that the processor will do on her own again - although I know they did this once already.  I have provided income tax returns all the way back to 2006. 

We are using the BTW program because I lost my job in 2007 and was unemployed from February 2007-May 2007 and then took a contingent job working part time hours for a few months until the company I was working at hired me full time in 2008. During that time we used our credit cards heavily (dumb I know) as a temporary solution thinking things would turn around.  We did credit counseling first then because of the amounts we owed many companies would not agree to the credit counseling plan - so we ended up first with a ch13 bk and then eventually converted it to a ch7 in October 2012 with discharge January 2013.

I am feeling like it may just take us until January 2015 at this point (which would be the 2 year mark anyway) but at least I feel empowered to be doing something Smiley Happy

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Fico Scores as of 1/6/2014 from MyFICO
EX FICO - 649 / EQ FICO - 616 / TU FICO - 649
Lender pull 4/1/2014- EX-664 / TU - 675 / EQ - 626

Kohls - $300 Credit One - $600 WM - $700 Sams - $500
Amazon $600 PayPal MC - $300 NFCU $1000 Cap 1 - $2500
Cap 1 Plat: $2000 Von Maur - no limit set NFCU Nav Check - $10k
Message 2 of 5
yepbob
New Contributor

I should also add that we did not include our home during our bk - our mortgage had always been paid on time.  We did relocate and got a buy out - with a $26k shortage that we paid off over the last 2 years and kept that out of the bk as well... We had to provide the HUD-1 closing statement from that as well as documentation on where the funds came from on the payment of that shortage...  We relocated back to our home state a year later and have been renting ever since.

Message 3 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I am buying a new construction from my employer [a national builder] and the house will be ready for closing in mid June. I applied to our lender partner under the BTW program and they said everything was golden ... until they came back with a denial. My application is now with lender #2 and I'm waiting to see what the outcome will be. My current LO had my file reviewed by an underwriter before I submitted my full app package.

Message 4 of 5
yepbob
New Contributor

I just got my list of conditions tonight a few minutes ago - mine are pretty simple right now:
1. Letter stating that yearly bonus is likely to continue and when it is normally paid out
2. Copy of tax returns showing reduction in income from 2007-2008 (which I have already provided so not sure on this one yet)
3. LOE for inquiry in January and if so what was result; if new LOC provide terms (this was NFCU Navcheck)
4. Proof of sufficient funds to close from 401k once under contract

My loan officer is out of the country and I left a message for her manager to ask about the income tax returns and also get a preapproval letter - that I still haven't received but she had said I would get after the conditions came in

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.