Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think I could get a lower rate?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think I could get a lower rate?

Hey guys so my and my husband decided to purchase oir first home. The home is new construction so we went with the preferred lender but now that I am reading these post I think we should shop around. Our credit scores give were 644 and 634( they use the lowest of the three). We are using VA with a dti of 25% and monthly income if 10500. We were quoted at 3.875% but not locked before I shop I would like to know if you guys think the rate can get any better?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you think I could get a lower rate?

3.875% is a heck of a rate! I went conventional, and my rate is 4.5% with a 683 midscore.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey guys so my and my husband decided to purchase oir first home. The home is new construction so we went with the preferred lender but now that I am reading these post I think we should shop around. Our credit scores give were 644 and 634( they use the lowest of the three). We are using VA with a dti of 25% and monthly income if 10500. We were quoted at 3.875% but not locked before I shop I would like to know if you guys think the rate can get any better?

I'd keep it!

Message 3 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous the builder or lender covering any of your closing costs @ that rate?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

3.875% with a 634 mid score is a great rate. My husband and I had mid scores of 787 and 802 and our rate with a conventional is 4.125%.

Message 5 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

3.875% with a 634 mid score is a great rate. My husband and I had mid scores of 787 and 802 and our rate with a conventional is 4.125%.

Conventional rates are almost always higher than Govvie loans due to LLPAs or Loan Level Price Adjusters.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 6 of 9
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

make a couple of calls and get a rate to compare.

they dont need an application to provide that. if they do, call someone else

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would shop around. We're doing a VA refinance and locked in two weeks ago at 3.25%, no origination, no points. We're also getting a $2600 lender credit ($1200 covers all closing costs and $1400 for prepaids/escrow), nothing rolled into the new loan amount and we get a $1500 refund from our old escrow account. The first lender we went to offered us 3.25% with us paying $3200 to close. It really does pay to shop around. Our low mid fico score is 798. It doesn't hurt to shop around, you won't need to fill out applications. Call a few lenders and tell them your credit score, income and whatever else, you can probably get a better rate.

Message 8 of 9
FIRECOURAGE
Frequent Contributor

Yep. Shop around. I also used the VA when we bought our home at 3.25%. My scores were in the 620's at the time.

4/01/2019 | Dismissed Chapter 7 BK

2/12/2024 | Equifax: 677 | Experian: 699 | TransUnion: 725
Goal Score: 750 - Across The Board
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.