Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation needed for mortgage app?

tag
teton
Regular Contributor

Documentation needed for mortgage app?

When applying for a mortgage, how many months of bank statements do I need to gather? Since I rent, do they want documentation of rent payments? What do they accept for that? How many years of tax returns? Anything else I'm not thinking of?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Documentation needed for mortgage app?

@teton wrote:
When applying for a mortgage, how many months of bank statements do I need to gather? Since I rent, do they want documentation of rent payments? What do they accept for that? How many years of tax returns? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

2 months of bank statements, 2-3 years for tax returns (some banks/lo only require 2, others 3) Unless you need to go fha due to poor credit and want to use 12 months of on time rent payments as a credit tradeline you shouldn't need anything for rent other than your landlord/complex typing something up on paper what your monthly rent is and maybe when it's due and thats if the bank asks for it
Message 2 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@teton wrote:
2 months bank statements.
rent documentation required on fha manual underwrite. if approved thru automated underwriting, then it is not required. the lender will send a verification form to landlord. if this is a private indivivual and not an apartment complex, the lender may want cancelled checks.
 2yrs tax returns if more than 25% of income is commission/bonus. otherwise, 2yrs w-2 will suffice.
30 days of paystubs

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

DallasLoanGuy wrote: 
2 months bank statements. 

Would 60 days worth of account printouts suffice?

I mean the kind you can print online in your bank account access window (it shows ALL transactions). Or would that be suspicious? Since either A) it shows that I don't want to show our actual statements (which I don't -- a family member used my CheckCard without our knowledge and charged up a bunch of stuff and we incurred ODs because of it) or B) it *could* be doctored (it's not, but the argument could be made that it was) since it's not a "authentic" document.

I don't think I'm THAT worried, since more than likely, by the time they actually ask for the actual bank statements, the BS that has the ODs on there won't be one of the "last two." Our new statement cuts on the 8th.

And I DID mention VOD, and she didn't seem to thrilled about it, so I didn't push it and instead sent her the printouts (as PDF files). 

Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i use printouts all of the time.

needs to be an online statement though, and not just a screenprint. the underwriter will throw it out if they dont  think it looks real enough

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Dallas!!

Well. Crap.

It's obvious that they're just a printout of our most recent activity (60 days worth). We gave them to our LO and she said "they should be okay."

So I guess I'll be pooping myself in the virtual sense until the 8th (when I can give them a "good" bank statements).

Since we already had to write a LoX about some baddies on DH's CRs (late student loans last year and a late on our car note -- though I think we had decent explanations for both), I REALLY don't want to have to explain the ODs. Our only choice at the time was either to pay them off and let them go or file a police report on our family member (who already has WAY too many issues). While our bank refused to refund the OD fees (Wacky SUCKS), they did issue me (it was mine used) a new CheckCard and put a "fraud alert" on the old one.

So bottom line is that I'd better not rest easy until the 8th, right? Do you think this would interfere with our closing on the 20th?

Also, this is kinda unrelated, but I figure that they're going to need a VOD anyway, since our TSP loan disbursement won't be on the the Jan 8th bank statement. It's *supposed* to disburse on the 12th (around there). And they'll still need to verify that deposit, right? Even though they know we're getting the DP that way, and have our TSP quarterly statements, they'll need to verify that, right?

Again, thank you so much, Dallas!!
Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

they will want to papertrail the tsp monies.

statement from each account would work

it is not uncommon for me to ask for an updated statement after the underwriter has already conditionally approved.

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.