cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Everyone Go to Manual Underwriting?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Everyone Go to Manual Underwriting?

We received a full approval-accept for FHA through AU and are now looking for a house.   My middle score is now around 737, so I'm wondering if we will definitely go to manual underwriting.  My down payment is gift-funded, but fully documented. I thought everyone was manually underwritten, but I have now seen in some posts that it seems like some folks do not have to be manually underwritten.  Is this the case?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ReBuild-OH17
New Contributor

Re: Does Everyone Go to Manual Underwriting?

To my understanding, a human will always have to manually underwrite every mortgage. Some require more documentation and proof than others but the manual underwrite is the bank's way of double checking and verifying the information you've given them.   Just my 2cents, I'm sure others will chime in as well...

Message 2 of 4
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

"Manual underwriting" can mean a couple things. Everyone's file gets looked over by the bank, but, then FHA and USDA have different underwriting. I'm not sure what FHA's is as it's been awhile since I've had any dealings with FHA, but, USDA has the GUS system. The way I understand it, an underwriter can send in the file and then it will got one of three possible responses; approve, refer, or refer with caution.

"approve" used to mean this file is good to go, but, a file can still be turned down after getting a USDA approval. My husbands mortgage was shut down at our last lender AFTER the USDA GUS system approved him.

I know that FHA has an automated underwriting system, AUS, but I think they are just approve or decline and decline results in manual underwriting.

Please note however, I'm not a mortgage broker, just someone who keeps having to deal with mortgage brokers.. lol

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 3 of 4
datzme4ya
Established Member

I would be interested in input on this as well. From what I understand - how it has been explained to me is if you receive an "automated loan approval" then an underwriter will review your file just to be sure that everything matches the information that was entered to get the "automated loan approval". If you do not get the approval than you go to manual underwriting - where the underwriter basically goes over your file with a fine tooth comb. This may be wrong or be a very over simplified way of putting it .. as I said I would love to hear other (more informed) answers Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.