rdhazy

Does GI bill income count as income?

My husband and I are applying for an FHA loan within the next year.  He has a low credit score, so we were just planning to put my name on the loan.  Could we still include his income if he is not on the loan?

Also, he is currently a student receiving the GI bill each month.  When they calculate our monthly income to become pre-qualified, would my husband's GI bill be considered income if he is going to school for the next 3 years? 

Valued Member
tater72

Re: Does GI bill income count as income?

I don't believe the GI Bill will be counted as income since it's educational benefits. The only way to receive your monthly GI bill benefits is if you certify that you are currently enrolled in school and those benefits should be used towards school. Now they may consider any excess money as income (ie, school is $1,000 a month and the benefits are $1,200 a month giving you an additional $200) but honestly I don't believe they will. But maybe one of the LO can tell you for sure.  

Starting Score: 659
Current Score: 686
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Super Contributor
ShanetheMortgageMan

Frequent Contributor
rockymtngrl

and to answer the other part of your question... no, if you don't use his credit you cannot use his income.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}