cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does a Dispute on My Credit Report Screw Up Financing?

tag
Alberio
Contributor

Does a Dispute on My Credit Report Screw Up Financing?

I was just looking at my credit report and saw an erroneous notation about an unpaid debt.  It is only on one report, not the other two.  It came up when my LO pulled my credit as well and I was shocked.  It is from about three years ago.

If I dispute it, will that screw up my financing?  I think I have seen things here where a lender will not move ahead because there is a notation that something on the CR is in dispute?  Or am I dreaming??

Starting Score: 644 (EQ) 646 (EX) 670 (TU) as of 11/2013
Current Score: 732 (EQ myFico) 740 (EX myFico) 740 (TU myFICO) as of 8-25-14
Lender Pulled Scores (3-19-14): 709(EX)/700(TU)/670(EQ)
Goal Score: 710 (Made it!!)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
roadwork
Established Member

Re: Does a Dispute on My Credit Report Screw Up Financing?

Going through this now for FHA, I had a dispute comment/remark on an old collection.... had to get it removed before we can move forward. I am waiting on the confirmations for deletion now, and hopefully it will not impact my score.

Message 2 of 8
CreativeFinanceQueen
New Visitor

FHA guidelines state that any open collection acct in dispute with a balance of $100 or more. If you are disputing a slow pay or a collection with a balance of $100 or less then you should be fine. Keep in mind all Mtg companies have their own company policies on top of FHA guidelines so you need to find the right company or know how to remove the disputes pretty quickly. ;0)

Message 3 of 8
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@Alberio wrote:

I was just looking at my credit report and saw an erroneous notation about an unpaid debt.  It is only on one report, not the other two.  It came up when my LO pulled my credit as well and I was shocked.  It is from about three years ago.

If I dispute it, will that screw up my financing?  I think I have seen things here where a lender will not move ahead because there is a notation that something on the CR is in dispute?  Or am I dreaming??

I was able to get all of mine removed very quickly. There is a thread here that gives telephone numbers to call at each CRA.  Equifax and TU did it while I was on the phone and sent confirmation the next day. Experian deleted all of the dispute comments in 24 hours. Search this board. Good luck!!

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

they need to be off there.... it is easier.

i have had people still get a loan with them on there... we just had to do a manual underwrite.

this was fha

i dont manual underwrite conv

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

"In dispute" commens on credit reports cause pain from underwriters. I'm experiencing that currently. In my case, the item is an old mortgage on a foreclosure that happened in 2010 and it was included in ch7 bankruptcy discharged in April of this year. The underwriter is still asking for the comment to be removed.

Message 6 of 8
vnita06
Valued Member

What if the dispute is on an account that has been paid.
Message 7 of 8
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/FHA-changing-collection-account-judgments-amp-dispute...

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.