cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how long the process is to get approved for a usda rural type loan?

tag
farmgirljen
Valued Member

Does anyone know how long the process is to get approved for a usda rural type loan?

I am considering applying for one, as the proiperty next door to our house qualifies for the rural development type loan, and I think I would qualify for 100% financing on it..curious how long the process takes, and what is involved...

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
andibogard
Valued Member

Re: Does anyone know how long the process is to get approved for a usda rural type loan?

Your first step would be to check this site http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do to see if your income qualifies you for either the direct loan or guaranteed loan. If you qualify for the direct loan, your loan comes directly from the USDA. You can find your local office and apply through them. If you only qualify for the guaranteed loan, your best bet is to contact your local office via email and ask for a list of lenders in your area that service these types of loans. The basic difference between direct and guaranteed is that direct loans are approved and serviced by the USDA; your monthly mortgage payments are made to them. In the guaranteed version, your loan is serviced by Wells Fargo, for example, and you make your monthly mortgage payments to them. Should you default on this loan, the government  will pay Wells Fargo for the loan.

Starting Score (7/7/10): EQ: 566 -- TU: 612
Interim Score (9/9/10): EQ: 603 -- TU: 614 -- EX: 654 (Lender)
Interim Score (11/5/10): EQ: 604 -- TU: 651 -- EX: 641 (FAKO)
Current Score (11/15/10): EQ: 598 -- TU: 670 -- EX: 632 (Lender)
Goal Score (12/31/10): EQ: 650 -- TU: 700
Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone know how long the process is to get approved for a usda rural type loan?

You should plan on 45-60 days after getting into contract

You can preapproved within a couple of days but the entire process takes some time

USDA does not offer a preapproval like FHA or conventional

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.