cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does high CC utilization matter if score is ok?

tag
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Does high CC utilization matter if score is ok?

Hi there.  DH and I are still trying to decide when to apply for a mortgage - hoping to go with FHA, possibly USDA.  We both have scores around 700.  My credit report is perfect - no lates, no collections.  DH is perfect except one paid bill for $80 to the library (lol).  Our only issue now is stupidly high credit utilization.  We are both in the mid-50% range (went to that from about 10% in less than a year after having several costly crisises with cars, dental, etc).  We are now focusing on paying these down, and always pay on time, pay more than the minimum, etc.  It's going to take a while, however, because we're talking around $11,000 total here - I'm also a little concerned because I work at a college, paid only during the academic year, and we may need to use credit occasionally this summer if cash gets low (I'm looking for a summer position, but not particularly interested in working at the local amusement park, so...lol...we'll see how that goes).  

So my question is, does FHA care what your percent of utilization is if your score is still over 640?  I know they'll factor in our monthly payments when calculating a loan amount.  We'd love to get into a house this summer, but worried we should wait because of utilization...

I'd also mention here that rent payments where we live tend to be higher than what we would pay for a mortgage payment, so I don't think we're nuts to try to get into a house before getting totally out of debt.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Does high CC utilization matter if score is ok?

In my experience, utilization is not a factor unless your score is below qualifying.  The monthly payment factoring into your DTI is what matters.  I had about $8,000 on cards when I started a month ago and LO just asked me to bring down balances to lower the monthly payment because I'm borderline on DTI.  The actual number did not seem to bother him much.

Have not been through underwriting, though, and it could always be dependent on the lender.

Message 2 of 3
goodygoody
Regular Contributor

Re: Does high CC utilization matter if score is ok?

Cool - thank you!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.