cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the good faith estimate include the down payment? Please help!!!!

tag
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Does the good faith estimate include the down payment? Please help!!!!

I am trying to see how much I need to bring to the table, and I'm freaking out trying to count how much i need to add.  But I don't understand why the down payment wouldnt  be on the GFE, maybe I am missing something. I would think it would encompass all fees Please Help!!!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Celle31
New Contributor

Re: Does the good faith estimate include the down payment? Please help!!!!

@Chbraswell wrote:

I am trying to see how much I need to bring to the table, and I'm freaking out trying to count how much i need to add.  But I don't understand why the down payment wouldnt  be on the GFE, maybe I am missing something. I would think it would encompass all fees Please Help!!!

My GFE showed all the money I needed to bring to closing. 

Before you get your GFE, your down payment should have already been calculated into the loan. 

Ex. I'm buying a house for $199,900. My loan amount is $196,000 and  something. So... they took out the down payment which is close to $7000 (3.5%), subtracted my EMD and then added the UFMI which was 3300 something (using FHA) which equaled to the $196,000 and something.

Under your documents, you should have something called transaction (that's what I have) right under my credit report and it broke everything down!

So basically your down payment should have already been subtracted from your loan amount before you received your GFE and is included even though it may not say down payment!

Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Hmmm, I wrote a response to this, even saw it was posted, but when I hit refresh it was deleted.

Anyway, I was saying that the GFE does not show your down payment.  The GFE just shows the interest rate, loan terms & the fees.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Understanding-the-New-2010-Good-Faith-Estimate/m-p/73... is a post I made ~4 years ago that explains the GFE in detail.

The down payment is the difference between the base loan amount & the sales price (unless the appraisal comes in lower than than the sales price, then that changes things).  The "funds to close" can be found within the "details of transaction" which is usually found on page 4 of the loan application.  Most lenders are including a "fee worksheet" that breaks down the fees on the GFE, the funds to close, and the proposed housing payment.  I suspect that is probably what Celle31 is referring to.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Hmmm, I wrote a response to this, even saw it was posted, but when I hit refresh it was deleted.  OK this is my 3rd attempt.

Anyway, I was saying that the GFE does not show your down payment.  The GFE just shows the interest rate, loan terms & the fees.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Understanding-the-New-2010-Good-Faith-Estimate/m-p/73... is a post I made ~4 years ago that explains the GFE in detail.

The down payment is the difference between the base loan amount & the sales price (unless the appraisal comes in lower than than the sales price, then that changes things).  The "funds to close" can be found within the "details of transaction" which is usually found on page 4 of the loan application.  Most lenders are including a "fee worksheet" that breaks down the fees on the GFE, the funds to close, and the proposed housing payment.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 5
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Thank you guys so much! i was so confused!!

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.