cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the seller (bank owned) know if you're first time buyer or not?

tag
anh2lua
New Contributor

Does the seller (bank owned) know if you're first time buyer or not?

I recently submitted an offer on a bank owned single house.  The listing agent asked if I am the first time buyer, if so, I may ask for 3% credit for closing cost + two yrs home warranty.

I short sold my primary home two yrs ago.  Does the seller check/know whether I am the first time buyer?

FICO scores Experian: 693; Equifax: 656; TransUnion: 707

Goal: 700+ on at least two reports
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Does the seller (bank owned) know if you're first time buyer or not?

Your not and saying you are is mortgage fraud, don't do it.

Message 2 of 11
gpeach
Regular Contributor

The mortgage will be on your credit report. I am sure they will find out about it. But read the fine print. If a certain amount of years go buy without owning a home you may be considered "first time" home buyer again. Ask them directly. 

Lying is not good. Lying about a mortgage is really not good. As in jail time not good.

Message 3 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@boomhower wrote:

Your not and saying you are is mortgage fraud, don't do it.

+1.   Just be upfront and don't try to put one over on them, it will come back to bite you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@anh2lua wrote:

I recently submitted an offer on a bank owned single house.  The listing agent asked if I am the first time buyer, if so, I may ask for 3% credit for closing cost + two yrs home warranty.

I short sold my primary home two yrs ago.  Does the seller check/know whether I am the first time buyer?

IME the banks check your public records before responding to an offer.

If you say you are a first time homebuyer and you aren't - they will know and it will create huge issues for you. Just tell the truth. 

Message 5 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Lender will check public record. There is no way to fool them. Tell the truth.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpeach wrote:

The mortgage will be on your credit report. I am sure they will find out about it. But read the fine print. If a certain amount of years go buy without owning a home you may be considered "first time" home buyer again. Ask them directly. 

Lying is not good. Lying about a mortgage is really not good. As in jail time not good.

I beleive FHA maintains 3+ years without owning a home and you must be making the purchase as your primary residance?!

Message 7 of 11
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Sounds like they are giving you some really good advice.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 11
anh2lua
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for the advice. I hoping to be considered as first time home buyer again. My agent didn't know. Anyway, I got the house and the seller Tbank owned) also agreed to credit 3% toward closing cost + 2 yrs home warranty. I did told them I sold my primary home 2 yrs ago.
No, the seller don't check your credit report, your lender does.
FICO scores Experian: 693; Equifax: 656; TransUnion: 707

Goal: 700+ on at least two reports
Message 9 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@anh2lua wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I hoping to be considered as first time home buyer again. My agent didn't know. Anyway, I got the house and the seller Tbank owned) also agreed to credit 3% toward closing cost + 2 yrs home warranty. I did told them I sold my primary home 2 yrs ago.
No, the seller don't check your credit report, your lender does.

The seller when its bank owned checks the public records. Your home history (deed and mortgage) are recorded in the public records.  I'm glad you told them the truth about your home ownership.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.