cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing a VA loan cash out refi six months after purchase?

tag
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Doing a VA loan cash out refi six months after purchase?

I just bought a home with a NFCU Homebuyer's Choice mortgage after being denied a VA loan due to being an IT consultant.  Before being denied, NFCU had called in a VA appraisal and the amount came in $21,000 over what I paid.  At closing,both realtors said I had a great deal and that house comps in the area are selling for over a $100,000 over what I ended up paying.

I am due to hired on perm in November and intend to do a VA cash out refi soon after.  My question is, will the appraisal be recycled from the one in April or will it be redone?  I am hoping to take cash out to build a small minimalist granny flat on our property and would love for a new and stronger appraisal to borrow against.  I purchased the home for $375,000 in May and since then, two very similar have sold for $460,000 and $467,000.  My realtor said that the initial appraisal was "stingy."

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Doing a VA loan cash out refi six months after purchase?

A VA appraisal automatically "expires" when the loan closes (or after 6 months). If you VA refi, another appraisal must be ordered for the new loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.